One temp controller, two brews, one dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Clearly I need to upgrade my setup but I wanted some opinions on my current dilemma.

I have one Johnson Controls temp controller that I'm currently using to control the fermentation temp on a Mosaic SMaSH in a kegerator that I brewed on Saturday.

Tomorrow I intend to brew this Chocolate Oatmeal Porter (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/chocolate-oatmeal-porter-359746/) that I want to serve at a contest next month.

I have these options:

- Brew the other porter at my mom's house and use her spare fridge as a fermentation chamber at ambient temperatures (probably fluctuating between 60-64)

- Same as the first option but take my temperature controller with me, leaving the Mosaic to finish fermenting at ambient temps in my house (also between 60-64)

- Brew the porter here and ferment in the basement at ambient temperatures

The Mosaic has been fermenting for 3 days and is still bubbling actively. There's a pretty good Krausen going. I had high hopes for this brew and I want to compare it to a Citra SMaSH that I did a couple months ago.

Obviously, the competition is somewhat more important but I just wanted to get some thoughts from you all.

Thanks in advance.

why not move the mosaic into the basement? if you're in the 3rd day, the risks of going too HOT are pretty much over.
If all else fails and it lagged a ton when it was starting and it's still going pretty hard, just fill up a tub with water and do the swamp cooler method

The mosaic is in my basement but in the temperature controlled kegerator. I think it really comes down to whether or not I should remove the temp control at this stage in it's fermentation

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry just saw the rest of your post. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon, the mosaic will settle down even more. I'm getting a bubble about every 3-5 seconds right now

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i wouldn't count the bubbling as fermentation slowing much (Even though it's a good sign) i'd take a hydro reading and see if its' within 10 points of terminal and you should be fine (esp if the basement is in the low 60s)

Back