One-Step use questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have some questions about One-step cleaner that I hope someone may be able to answer.
1. Directions recommend using one tablespoon per gallon to sanitize equipment—does this mean I would need to use a full 5 tablespoons if I were sanitizing a 5 gallon keg?
2. How long is the solution good for? If I sanitize some equipment one day can I use the same solution the following day—or does it become ineffective over time? Can I use it to sanitize a 5 gallon keg and then dump the solution into a carboy to start my next batch?
Thanks.

1. No, I mix up a 1 gallon milk jug with 1tbsp of water, then I use a soft rag and wipe everything down with it. Or if cleaning a keg, I just pour it all in and shake the keg, then hook it up to co2 and run a little through the dip tube.

2. Then, I save water mix for my next batch or for the next bottles or keg I need to clean. I don't know how long it stays good, but I usually use the same water I mixed up 2 or 3 times before dumping it.

i have a big 2 gallon pitcher that i keep on my counter constantly filled about 3/4 with onestep. i toss in stuff like carboy caps, air locks, siphon tube tips, racking canes, my beer thief. anything that needs to get clean. that way i don't have to scrub right away. depending on how active i am with racking and starters and stuff i typically change the solution weekly. i'll often stir or give it a shake, as i've noticed that the actual sanitizer will settle after a day or so.

SenorWanderer said:
i have a big 2 gallon pitcher that i keep on my counter constantly filled about 3/4 with onestep. i toss in stuff like carboy caps, air locks, siphon tube tips, racking canes, my beer thief. anything that needs to get clean. that way i don't have to scrub right away. depending on how active i am with racking and starters and stuff i typically change the solution weekly. i'll often stir or give it a shake, as i've noticed that the actual sanitizer will settle after a day or so.

I've done the same thing. No Problems yet. Hope I"m not screwing up.

I think one-step might last a week, maybe two, if stored covered and out of light.

for the price, Star-san is more economic, and you can actually test it's pH to see if it's still active. and if its not, you can re-charge with more star-san, but less than making a new batch.

i think star san in a spray bottle is my favorite reason to use it...or is it the 30 second contact time? One-step needs several minutes to sanitize.

malkore said:
I think one-step might last a week, maybe two, if stored covered and out of light.

for the price, Star-san is more economic, and you can actually test it's pH to see if it's still active. and if its not, you can re-charge with more star-san, but less than making a new batch.

i think star san in a spray bottle is my favorite reason to use it...or is it the 30 second contact time? One-step needs several minutes to sanitize.
I'm pretty sure it's not several minutes. I just wash with it, then let it air dry. again, never had an infection ... ever.

Can you do the 1-gallon-and-shake thing with a bleach solution? How long will a bleach solution keep (if covered to avoid evaporation)?

Thanks,
chris.

I know this is an old topic, but most HBS list One Step as needing 2 minutes of contact.

Also, One Step's active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate, the same thing that's used in things like Oxiclean. It basically turns the water into a weak hygrogen peroxide. I wouldn't trust it beyond a couple of days, as the extra oxygen will come out of suspension very easily with any kind of light or heat.

Scimmia said:
I know this is an old topic, but most HBS list One Step as needing 2 minutes of contact.

Also, One Step's active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate, the same thing that's used in things like Oxiclean. It basically turns the water into a weak hygrogen peroxide. I wouldn't trust it beyond a couple of days, as the extra oxygen will come out of suspension very easily with any kind of light or heat.

That sounds right when I talked to my LHBS.
I like star-san cuz if it ain't foaming, you know its lost its effectiveness. And an acid test kit for pH will totally confirm if its still active or not.

I used to use one-step, but they charge $3 for an 8oz bag. After listenting to the star-san interview on brewing network, I was sold.

Back