One-Step Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister

Reaction score
Ok so I bottled my SNPA clone yesterday. I used One-Step sanitizer for the first time yesterday and have a couple questions about it. I mixed it as per the directions on the package, I think 1tbsp per 5 gallons water. Anyways, I started to siphon my beer into the bottles and as I was finishing, the bottles were completely dry on the outside. I noticed a white film or powder all over the outside of the bottles from the sanitizer. Is this normal when using one-step, and I am assuming that since it was on the outside of the bottle that it is also on the inside. Will this affect my beer? Thanks in advance.

Brew_Meister said:
Ok so I bottled my SNPA clone yesterday. I used One-Step sanitizer for the first time yesterday and have a couple questions about it. I mixed it as per the directions on the package, I think 1tbsp per 5 gallons water. Anyways, I started to siphon my beer into the bottles and as I was finishing, the bottles were completely dry on the outside. I noticed a white film or powder all over the outside of the bottles from the sanitizer. Is this normal when using one-step, and I am assuming that since it was on the outside of the bottle that it is also on the inside. Will this affect my beer? Thanks in advance.
One-step, IIRC, is not a sanitizer but a cleaner. You'll probably be OK though.

Yeah . . . one-step will not sanitize. I used to use it that way, however, and I never once had an infection. You'll be okay as long as the remainder of your bottling process is quite clean.

Thanks for the input... I have also heard that One-Step is just a cleanser. I have been ordering from Midwest supplies, and I thought they sold it as a sanitizer, not a cleanser. I used Easy Clean on my first few batches with no problems, but Midwest does not carry Easy Clean. I hope that I will be okay with this batch. The powder on everything just made me nervous. In the future to be on the safe side I think that I will have to get my hands on some Idophor or maybe Star San. I am leaning on the Idophor because I dont like the idea of all the foam with the star san. But on the other hand, I am not sure that I like the idea of Idophor staining everything. Maybe I should just stick with Easy Clean.

I'm in a little bit of a disagreement here. I have only started using other stuff then One Step from hearing about them from the forum. I had thought that One Step was a sanitizer and light cleaner (hence "One Step") In the past I had just used One Step cause I had always been pretty quick at cleaning so I dont have a lot of elbow grease to use.

From Palmer's book, pg. 22

Percarbonates
" One Step is labeled as a light cleaner and final rinse agent, and produces hydrogen peroxide in solution. Hydrogen perozide will effectely sanitize surfaces and containers which are already clean."

It is notable that in the US in order to call something a 'sanitizer' there's a process you have to go through (and pay for) to meet FDA (I think it's the FDA-- could be wrong) standards for sanitizers.

This means that while everything that is called a 'sanitizer' will sanitize, the opposite is NOT true. Many things that are not labled 'sanitizer' will, in fact, sanitize.

Back