One Step sanitizer - safe for copper??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabrews

Reaction score
Is one step safe for copper? (non-corrosive, non-leaching, etc.)
Cheers,
dabrews

To be 100% fair, One Step was a sanitizer until recently, when the FDA changed the rules as to what qualified as a sanitizer. Lots of people used One Step before the rule change, but few people use it since then.

I don't. You'll do whatever you want.

Also, products that don't pay the FDA to have "FDA approved sanitizer" on it can't put it on there. So go into the grocery store and look at bleach, most of them won't have that labeling, although a 10% solution is great at sanitizing just about everything and that it can be made into a no-rinse sanitizer.
Look up Charlie Talley (creator of Star San) on google, he did an interview with Brewcast or something where he explains a recipe.

Also, products that don't pay the FDA to have "FDA approved sanitizer" on it can't put it on there. So go into the grocery store and look at bleach, most of them won't have that labeling, although a 10% solution is great at sanitizing just about everything and that it can be made into a no-rinse sanitizer.
Look up Charlie Talley (creator of Star San) on google, he did an interview with Brewcast or something where he explains a recipe.

The podcast in question here is probably the Basic Brewing cast from March 29, 2007. Charlie Talley (from 5 star Chemical) talked about his biggest product, Star San. He actually spent most of his time talking about sanitizing with bleach and vinegar (don't mix the two of them, please) and it didn't affect my sanitation at all. I can follow the multi-step directions, or I can just spray everything down with Star San. Fresh grocery store brand bleach and vinegar works, but Star San is easier. I'm lazy like that.

For the curious, here's the link: http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Back