One Step is not a sanitizer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I was reading through the noob section and one of the posts was that one step is not a sanitizer. Is this true? Whats wrong with it?

I tried starsan but didn't like it - I was thinking about using Iodophor

Yes, it is a sanitizer. It would cost them a lot of money for them to claim it is a sanitizer. The main ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate which is like a powdered form of Hydrogen Peroxide. It will sanitize with 30 second contact time.

Forrest

We also have our own version of One Step available called Cleanitizer. Same main ingredient in a no rinse solution. Works exactly the same but at a considerable savings.

Here is a link:

Austin Homebrew Supply

The issue is that One Step is not a Cleaner & Sanitizer as they first sold the product. The FDA made them remove it from their packaging. I learned this when I first started homebrewing. I strictly use StarSan anyway

I've used One Step exclusively. Had one batch of gushers, but that was me getting a little sloppy I think. Everything else has turned out great. I was concerned that it didn't say "sanitizer" on the packaging. Thanks for clearing that up Forrest!

We also have our own version of One Step available called Cleanitizer. Same main ingredient in a no rinse solution. Works exactly the same but at a considerable savings.

Here is a link:

Austin Homebrew Supply

Thanks - i'll check that out

do you guys really siphon your beer straight onto the starsan foam??

That is why i stopped using it - i know they say don't fear the foam but i could never get over it

Thanks - i think i will order some iodophor with my next order

for now i really need to up my cleaning procedure - i read the part that said rinsing with water does not get it clean and cleaning and sanitizing are two separate steps

Thanks

Iodophor is not a cleaner. I am sure you know that by now. Most people use tooooo much Iodophor. 1/2 oz per 5 gallons is a no rinse solution. People actually keep adding Iodophor until it reaches a certain color. That is way too much. If you add that much you are wasting money and you really need to rinse.

Forrest

I have been using one step for years with wine and now 5 beers have had no problems i work for a winery part time and have used it there as well no probs.I quess everyone has there own opinions and untill i run into a problem i will keep using it.i make close to 200 gallons of wine a year:rolleyes: with no prolems of yet.

Why would anyone not use Starsan for sanitizing?? I used to use one-step, and really disliked the process. I'd mix it up as per instructions, and it would often not dissolve properly, and often left a film on my stuff.

I switched to Starsan after reading up on it here, and I LOVE it! It truly is a no rinse product. DON'T FEAR THE FOAM! Yeah, I used it on my carboy and it was half-filled with bubbles, but dripped dry. I transferred right into carboy on foam and it was fine!

I like that I can mix up gallon or two on brew day and pour some into a spray bottle and that will last for months.

Thanks - i'll check that out

do you guys really siphon your beer straight onto the starsan foam??

That is why i stopped using it - i know they say don't fear the foam but i could never get over it

The beer will push most of the foam out of the carboy anyway, and what remains gets diluted, becomes inert and is mostly absorbed by the yeast.

Don't fear the foam, the foam is actually helpful because it keeps a protective layer over top while you rack so the nasties will fall on the foam and croak.

StarSan is the cat's meow. Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Nothing like watching the foam snake crawl out of the carboy on brewday.

I clean with PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) and Sanitize with Starsan.

Just follow the directions, don't be lazy, don't fear the foam and you'll never have to worry about infections again.

I switched to Starsan from BTF . I mix it as per instructed but I never get a lot of foam in the keg and never had a foam snake. My last batch I used 6ml to one gallon of distilled water. I use a garden sprayer to spray down the inside and the top. It foams a little when I shake the keg but nothing like some people hear post .

case in point I never had anything like this
keg2.jpg

Back