One Step in my Wort! Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trappist Artist

Reaction score
Ok, my brewing assistant just threw some one step cleaner into my boiling wort. It has about 45 min left in the boil before I have to try and cool it. Will this be ok? Should I start over?

Thanks

T A

Bummer. That's like the fire going out on an overnight BBQ cook on a brisket. I follow a tried and true old axium.

When in Doubt, Throw it Out

Funny, my old axiom is "give it time and see how it comes out." My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the heat will have broken down the molucules and the beer will be fine.

Leave a bottle of hydro peroxide in the sunlight and w/o a cap and in a few day's you'll have nothing but water. Heat it up and I bet you'd have it much, much quicker.

Here's an update on the brew:

Yeast are VERY active (blew off the seals around the bucket) and my bed room smells Great!

Maybe I should start adding 1/2 tsp of one step to all my brews :drunk:

Got to be butt here for a sec :

Are you it was your brewing assistant?
And who would throw a cleaner in a full pot of wort?

Not trying to make enemies, just HAD to ask.

lol.... idk know why any white looking powder would go near a boiling pot of wort... unless you were putting in corn sugar or something.

Lol.... i'd call this stuff "killer brew" harharhar

This is for a compatition among my friends. I was thinking about naming it "One-Step to Victory." Any other names out there?

:mug:

Orpheus said:
You could always call it, "Unemployed Brewing Assistant Ale."
HAR HAR!!! I'll second that one. If anyone threw anything into any of my brews I'm not sure I would ever talk to them again. It's not about oh wow, my beer is everything, personally that's not what would get me, it would be the complete lack of respect for me and what's mine. I say, if you give a man $20.00 and never see him again, IT WAS WORTH IT!!! I could see if your friend was goofin off and that wasn't the intention, ok... I'd be mad cause a pot of boiling wort is about 15-25 bucks, but would be the end of the world. But I'd be hesitant to invite them back for another brew session at the same time. :) As for the name, my imput is something evil and bad, maybe Death by Caustic, black label with lots of bones, skulls, maybe even fire. There is nothing cooler than skulls and fire, and with a name like Drink this and die it would definately be a hit!

Clue Beer.

Because your brewing assistant has none and if anyone croaks you can say:
"It was the brewing assistant in the kitchen with the poison"

Ok, after a few weeks of worry all has come out well! The fermentation went well despite the One Step. The beer tasted Great when I bottled, now only a short wait to enjoy!

T.A.
:fro:

Trappist Artist said:
This is for a compatition among my friends. I was thinking about naming it "One-Step to Victory." Any other names out there?

:mug:

Oh, that's junk. Here's your name, nothing else needed:

One-step in the Grave.

Bwah ha ha...

Hmmm...Trappist Artist never did explain exactly how his "assistant" ended up throwing sanitizer into his wort. This sounds like one of those "I have this 'friend' who has genital warts" instances...come on, Trappist Artist, 'fess up! It was you, wasn't it...:D

You guys are being way too cruel, but the situation was laughable. How do you know that the assistant wasn't Trappist Artist's 10 year old son that religiously fills bottles while I, sorry, he, caps them. Just because it's a cleaner doesn't make it toxic. By your responses, I bet a few of you had your mouths washed out with soap for minor vocal infractions when you were young, and none of you died, or you wouldn't be here to chastise Trappist for what happened. Lots of scientific discoveries are made by accident, and this may be one of them.

One-Step is a "no rinse cleaner", so how bad can it be. If I'm not mistaken, it's in the same family as Oxy Clean, which advertises that it cleans with oxygen (however that may work). It's not supposed to be stored in solution in a sealed container, because the release of oxygen will build pressure. The assistant may have inadvertantly added oxygen which would enhance initial fermentation. Gone may be the days of aeration stones and vigorous shaking.

Just because something is a chemical doesn't make it toxic. Everything we brew with are chemicals. Maltose, sucrose, calcium chloride, citric acid and good old water (h2o) are chemicals. The day may come when every recipe says add 1 tbsp One-Step with Irish moss.

We need someone with a chemistry backround to verify this, or say it's a bunch of **** made up for some guy that screwed up.

Someday, Trappist Artist may be our savior, because he won the Nobel Prize for home brewing.

ruppe,

cruel, I think not. I just find it odd that we never got an explanation from Trapper Keeper as to what exactly happened.

To all you wondering what the story is:

I was brewing in my kitchen, and during the boil I like to clean and sanitize anything that I have to use in the next few minutes. For example, strainer, primary fermenter, ect. I was putting water into my plastic bucket that I use as a primary and asked my friend (His name is Guido, no really, in case anyone was wondering) to put some one step into the bucket. He must have thought that I meant to put it into the boiling wort. So, half a teaspoon into the pot.

Now that the story is cleared up here is my assesment.
I am a chemsitry major and I may be able to shed some light on the one step situation. Oxy clean uses peroxides, wich are rather toxic depending on the specific peroxide. However, peroxides are relativly reactive, especially in water environments and under heat. I think that the cleaning probably has to do with the fact that in you add a peroxide to organic molecules like a cell wall of a bacterium it will add a hydroxyl group and break that wall (much in the same way that soap works) and kill the nasties. Most peroxides that I am familiar with will decompose in about 1 hour under heating. So, my assesment is that because I heated to boiling for a while and that the yeast were able to perform a relativly normal fermentation the nasty peroxides decomposed to oxygen and salt leaving my wort similar to adding burton salts and maybe adding a little hot aeration.
T.A.

I found it funny that folks were trying to flame you...questioning if this actually occurred. :)

Back