One Step as a cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapRoomBrewer

Reaction score
My LHBS (only one on the island) does not regularly stock PBW. I've gone through all of it's stock. The owner says he just uses One Step for everything (cleaning and sanitizing). I've only ever used it as a sanitizer, per the stickied thread. I see Northern Brewer says "while technically a cleanser, One Step does have some sanitizing properties." :confused:

Does anyone here use One Step for cleaning AND sanitizing?

I'm looking to cut costs by buying in bulk, keeping in mind that I can't get StarSan shipped here (although I can get some here and there via visits to the mainland - I currently have a 16oz bottle). All the powdered stuff ships here no problem.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I tried using OneStep as a sanitizer and did not have the best of luck. Switching to StarSan made a huge difference in reducing the number of bad batches.

Understanding that StarSan is hard to come by, the best way to stretch it is by using it from a spray bottle. Before switching I used 2-3 oz. between brewing and bottling per batch by soaking everything in a washtub. Since mixing it up in a spray bottle I now use about 1/4 oz. per batch simply by thoroughly spraying all equipment and bottles instead of soaking them.

If you've got a 16 ounce bottle of star-san, that's a LOT! I'm on my second bottle, but I've used it steadily since 2006.

I mix up a gallon at a time, and keep it in a gallon juice jug. You don't have to soak things- just get them wetted with the star san, and then pour the star-san back in the jug. Some folks use wallpaper trays, or spray bottles, whatever- and it all works.

I have used one step in the distant past, in my early winemaking days, and it was fine. But I use those now as a cleanser (and I rinse!) and star-san or Iodophor for sanitizing.

My understanding is that one step is an oxygen cleanser similar to oxyclean. Could be wrong.

With that said, I'd recommend doing what many on here have in formulating your own PBW. It combines oxy free with a synthetic TSP that can be readily found at most home improvement stores in the paint section. Folks typically combine the two in a 3:1 or 2:1 concentration.

All-in-all it's considerably cheaper.

Do a search in this forum for Homemade PBW.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I like the idea of spraying equipment for brew days, but I wouldn't feel confident spraying the inside of a keg, given there are some hard to reach places in there. Better to pour the gallon jug's contents in, shake like crazy, and then pour back into the jug?

As for the homemade PBW, I've looked into that. I can get the TSP at the hardware store, but I haven't yet been able to find the oxy free. Only the regular, so I'm not sure about that one yet.

I ordered OC Versatile Free from Amazon and mixed with Red Devil TSP (which is not actually TSP). Hope that helps...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I like the idea of spraying equipment for brew days, but I wouldn't feel confident spraying the inside of a keg, given there are some hard to reach places in there. Better to pour the gallon jug's contents in, shake like crazy, and then pour back into the jug?

As for the homemade PBW, I've looked into that. I can get the TSP at the hardware store, but I haven't yet been able to find the oxy free. Only the regular, so I'm not sure about that one yet.

Sure, pour the jug of sanitizer in, and shake- but don't you take the posts off the keg and pull out the diptubes and clean and sanitize them?

I put the posts and poppits and the short (gas) diptube in some sanitizer, and then once I use the diptube brush on the long (beer) diptube, I rinse it and put it back in the keg and pour the sanitizer through it to sanitize the inside before putting the keg back together and then shaking it. I also put the autosiphon and tubing in there and pump it a few times before shaking it, so my siphon and tubing are sanitized as well.

Then, I put all that stuff on clean paper towels, and pour the sanitizer back in the jug.

Yooper I have just bought a bottle of star san after using only the one step for several years. How many times can you re use the star san? If you had pre washed and stored very clean bottles then ran 100 or so thru a 2 1/2 gallon soak would you save it? I think I have been dumping good mix down the drain too quick.

Yooper I have just bought a bottle of star san after using only the one step for several years. How many times can you re use the star san? If you had pre washed and stored very clean bottles then ran 100 or so thru a 2 1/2 gallon soak would you save it? I think I have been dumping good mix down the drain too quick.

Star-san can be reused until the pH raises up to 3, from what I understand. I've never soaked bottles (why would you? I don't understand) since they just need a spritz and a vinator and bottling tree works. If you soak bottles, you may get labels or something in them, but for just sanitizing I'd reuse over and over and over and over. I end up spilling it before it would "go bad". Then I just mix up another gallon.

Sure, pour the jug of sanitizer in, and shake- but don't you take the posts off the keg and pull out the diptubes and clean and sanitize them?

I put the posts and poppits and the short (gas) diptube in some sanitizer, and then once I use the diptube brush on the long (beer) diptube, I rinse it and put it back in the keg and pour the sanitizer through it to sanitize the inside before putting the keg back together and then shaking it.

Yes, this is what I've been doing with the One Step.

Don't have a tree. I just throw about 10 or 12 in and swish some around and sit aside to fill. Do actually they don't really soak. Bottles are all de labeled long ago and re used many times srored clean and dust free.

My LHBS (only one on the island) does not regularly stock PBW. I've gone through all of it's stock. The owner says he just uses One Step for everything (cleaning and sanitizing). I've only ever used it as a sanitizer, per the stickied thread. I see Northern Brewer says "while technically a cleanser, One Step does have some sanitizing properties." :confused:

Does anyone here use One Step for cleaning AND sanitizing?

I'm looking to cut costs by buying in bulk, keeping in mind that I can't get StarSan shipped here (although I can get some here and there via visits to the mainland - I currently have a 16oz bottle). All the powdered stuff ships here no problem.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Per One Step's label & website it is only a cleanser, not a sanitizer.

Then sanitizing everything must not be that important. I never used anything until a month or so ago except one step for all my wine and beer. I have some stat san now and it might be cheaper from what I been reading but can't say if it is any better.

Back