One Questions - First Time at homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandetri

Reaction score
1. I placed my cleaned Hydrometer in the fermentation tank? I didnt read until later that I should have sucked some wort out first into a test tube.

Is this something I should worry about?

cleaned vs. sanitized.

You should RDWHAHB and do it right next time. Don't dump unless you give it a chance to fix whatever you may have done. Finish it, and drink it, and be happy.

sandetri said:
1. I placed my cleaned Hydrometer in the fermentation tank? I didnt read until later that I should have sucked some wort out first into a test tube.

Is this something I should worry about?

Should be fine. Other poster is making the point that clean does not always equal sanitized. Sanitize with bleach water or one of the rinse-less chemicals sold at homebrew shops. That will kill bacteria and other bugs.

Most likely the billions of yeast cells will overwhelm the few bacteria you may have introduced. No promises though.

You should worry about how to send your kids to collage or whether you'll able to retire or the rising price of gasoline. You should definatley not worry about beer.

Do it right next time but in all likelyhood your beer is fine.

Sorry for not clarifying, just Teresa my post. I use starsan and suggest that. Don't use bleach because it's a pain to wash off IMO

Does anyone see a problem with putting a sanitized hydro directly in the wort versus putting a sanitized thief (to fill the measuring tube) directly in the wort? It seems virtually the same to be.

That's why I use the tube the hydrometer comes in for testing. If a mishap occurs,no tossing a brew I spent time & money on.

Back