One or 1st step cleaner*urgent*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George7845

Reaction score
I used 1st step cleaner on carboy last night. Followed directions, but it left this white residue i can see on my blue lid that is obviously in bucket. Will this residue hurt my batch? Please respond soon, about to fill up my carb at the orchard.

Thanks, George

I responded in your other thread, but I don't think you want to sanitize the day before you make your batch. You should re-sanitize, in my opinion.

Rinse that film off, and then mix up a new batch of one-step. Use one gallon water and 1 tablespoon one-step, and mix very well to dissolve. Swirl to cover all surfaces, and then pour over the cap and airlock.

One-step isn't technically a sanitizer but it does sanitize so don't worry. I like iodophor or star-san, or even crushed campden tablets, since they are "wet contact, no rinse" sanitizers. That means you use the item while still wet with the sanitizer, and you don't let it dry. That's good because it's sanitizing as long as it's wet.

This lady at local brew store keeps telling me to use this first step (cleaner) even to clean my bottles? Should i really be using star san? Also do i want to let my bottles fully dry on rack, before i fill and cap? Ive been looking at sanitization forum, and just want to be sure, no bad cider or beer for this kid!

I was reading bad beer forums, and a scratch in the bucket was the case.... I know other day when i cleaned my buckets i used a simple kitchen sponge (new) with soft side and slightly abrasive side, you know the yellow ones with green abrasive side? Should i not use that?, i really dont want a bad batch.

Generally, you have to do something wrong, and be unlucky to ruin your beer. Like Yooper says, don't worry about it. ;)

This lady at local brew store keeps telling me to use this first step (cleaner) even to clean my bottles? Should i really be using star san? Also do i want to let my bottles fully dry on rack, before i fill and cap? Ive been looking at sanitization forum, and just want to be sure, no bad cider or beer for this kid!

Do yourself a huge favor and invest in a bottle of Starsan and a spray bottle. Mix up a gallon at a time (use distilled water, and it will stay stale for months), then fill your spray bottle when needed.

I wish I had discovered this technique LONG ago, it saves time and money, and makes sanitation a breeze.

Back