One of the more creative Beers I've ever seen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbes

Reaction score
A small brewery near Minnesota's richest lake (Minnetonka) called Exclesior Brewing recently came out with something that combines brewing beer with a small amount of aquative invasive species, Zeebra Mussels and Eurasion Milfoil.

I have yet to try it, but the novelty factor for fisherman in this state is high. Lots of press for stopping or slowing AIS, but this one made me laugh. Its just weird enough that I will buy some if I see it.

http://excelsiorbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Milfoil.jpg

Wow that sounds nasty! I wonder if they did any research on potential levels of contamination. Bivalves generally uptake toxins and don't release them so they end up concentrating bad stuff. I wonder if they use any of the insides...

Looks like they only used a small amount of the small zeebs. And removed the meat prior to brewing with it.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/283551301.html

Clearly it was more the shock value of adding these things. I guess some of these craft breweries don't take themselves too seriously. Can't imagine any wineries, even small ones, adding such silly ingredients.

I read about this one too. Will make for some nice gag gifts this Christmas. Probably a decent beer. The Brewer said there is very little of the muscles or seaweed included. But these are both ingredients that have basically been used before. Seaweed isn't new to brewing and oyster stout is a style with some history to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Almost as cool as when Point brewing out of Lacrosse WI tried to deliver Lakemaid beer by drone to ice fisherman last year. FAA shut them down.

Maybe someone should try throwing some walleye in beer and see how that sells. I'd buy that too.

I heard it was pretty good. I didnt get to slide down there to try it though. It sold out pretty quick. I believe the beer was sold as a fund rasier for the lake conservation club and to raise awareness of the ZM's getting in Minnetonka.

Not to mention Excelsior makes some damn good beer too.

Oyster stouts were a big thing a while back. I tried one and It just tasted like a regular stout to me. It's a fun gimmick but that's about it. Wynkoop took it one step further and did a prairie oyster stout...which I did not try...

Back