One more keezer in the world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twalte

Reaction score
Just finished my simple keezer build with the 14.8 cubic foot Maytag that Home Depot is featuring for $359.. Nothing fancy, but it will work.

The build followed the BillyBrew style, so the collar is not attached to the top or bottom of the freezer. The weight of the collar and foam insulation on the bottom insure a good seal.

Billy Brew Build
http://billybrew.com/kegerator-collar

Temperature Controller
STC-1000 controller using this guide from "One Man's Beer". I am truly an idiot when it comes to wiring, and this made it really easy.
http://www.onemansbeer.com/keezer-build-diy-temperature-controller/

I counter-sunk 4 bolts on each side to hold the 1x8 Poplar boards to the 2x6 frame and puttied the holes for a smooth look. I simply primed, sanded and painted with appliance white spray paint. This is a garage unit, so no point in getting fancy.

For some reason, Keg Connection upgraded my Perlick taps to those with the creamer function (must have been out of stock on 525s). Not sure I need that, but looking forward to trying it.

KeezerRightFinal_zps39781a5b.jpg

KeezerLeftFinal_zpsebec3aeb.jpg

I added some aluminum 90 degree angles so that I could still use the freezer basket. At this height, they barely clear the kegs. This will be my yeast storage basket. I will probably move the CO2 out of the freezer in the future once I get my hands on an Oediker clamp tool. That will allow me to use two hanging baskets for storage.

I also went with the dual regulator so that I could have a keg on-line being force carbed while the others are being served at normal pressure.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask for longer beer lines, so we'll see if the 5' lines work. May be swapping out beer lines to 10' based on what I am hearing from others.

The only remaining piece is to find some tap handles that I like.

KeezerInsideFinal_zps668758c2.jpg

Looking forward to finally being able to cold crash a few fermenters and improve my beer clarity!!! (plus easy access to cold draught during brew days)

Thanks to everyone who posted their keezer builds. This site is an amazing resource!!!!

Beautiful! I love what you did with the drip tray and the aluminum. Very innovative.

I'm glad the guide helped you out. Do you mind if I add your pictures to this page with the builds from other people? http://billybrew.com/how-to-build-a-keezer

Not at all Billy. Thanks again for a great build video and blog!!! I was going a completely different direction until I found your video.

Mr. Kreusen and I were comparing notes prior to the build, and I believe that he used your method as well.

Here is the link to his build.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-furniture-383760/#post4814610

It's always cool when a new Keezer is born:)......however the information on your sticker seems to be slightly inaccurate instead of 162bc....it's believed that beer has probably been helping people in that regard....since 10,000 BCE. To the neoloithic age, when man settled down and began to farm cereal grain...a growing group of scientist actually believe that beer and not bread was the reason for farming in general, which subsquently spurred the rise of modern man.

Don't you just know that how it happened....a couple of guys sitting around a fire looking at pot of rain soak grain with a mysterious froth on it...one says to the other "Dude, I'll give you five shells to drink that." "What is it?" first guy "The wife told me to bring in this pot of grain she picked up, to make bread with, I forgot and left it out in the rain now it's got this bubbly stuff"
Second Guy " Holy crap you gotta try this!!:ban::rockin::drunk:" "Hmm How can we make more:mug:"
The next day the wife comes out "Hmmm...What the heck are those two guys doing...there digging holes everwhere, and dumping seeds into them"

It's always cool when a new Keezer is born:)......however the information on your sticker seems to be slightly inaccurate instead of 162bc....it's believed that beer has probably been helping people in that regard....since 10,000 BCE. To the neoloithic age, when man settled down and began to farm cereal grain...a growing group of scientist actually believe that beer and not bread was the reason for farming in general, which subsquently spurred the rise of modern man.

That may be true regarding the origin of beer, but the first documented case of an ugly person getting laid due to beer was 162 BC. He was a distant uncle (on my dad's side). My understanding is that she wasn't much to look at either, but at least he started the trend.

Here's a photo from the family album.

neanderthal_1804257c_zpsa00a0c33.jpg

Back