One Keg Foam, One Keg Fine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhlfrty

Reaction score
After weeks of tinkering with my recently purchased kegging equipment, I finally had a totally successful setup (after many great recommendations from this forum)! Went through a whole keg for a party, and it was perfect pours and perfectly carbonated beer every time!

Cut to last week: I had a Weiss beer and an IPA ready to keg at the same time.

Placed them both in my kegerator, set them both to 30 psi for about 30 hours. They were a bit warm when I placed them in there, but the kegerator temp is at about 38-40 degrees. I have a single regulator with a T split to allow 2 kegs at the same pressure. Both taps and lines were just cleaned. Lines are 3/16" @ 12' length. Serving PSI was at 14 (at 12 PSI, I was getting excessively slow pours given my line length)

After 30 hours at 30 PSI, I lowered to serving PSI and went to pour myself a sample. Wasn't expecting either to be fully carbonated, but thought I would try them out. They were both jostled around about the same amount, no excessive shaking, or anything else different between them except the style.

Keg 1, the IPA, poured perfectly after the crud from the bottom of the keg came out. Still could benefit from a few days of carbonating.

Keg 2, the Weiss beer, poured ALL foam!

Given that everything was exactly the same (except style of beer), how is this possible? What can I do to fix the Weiss keg, while still continuing to carb my IPA?

Did you take the kegs apart when you cleaned them ? i.e remove the liquid posts and dip tubes ?

They were completely disassembled, cleaned, sanitized, leak checked.

I just managed to pour a good pint from the weiss keg.

I took out the keg pouring all foam, vented it fully, lowered the serving PSI to 10, poured off one last glass of foam, then a perfect pour.

Seems strange to me because, as I understand it, a weiss beer wants to have a higher co2 volume.

Guess I will just have to live with one of my taps pouring slowly so that the other is drinkable!

Just to close out my own post, I will post the solution to my problem.

The keg was in no way actually over carbonated. MY earlier attempt only worked because after purging the keg, the pressure was too low for the REAL culprit to act up!

Turns out that I had a faulty O-ring on my dip tube. It was allowing the beer and the CO2 to mix as soon as they got into the line. Once I replaced it, the line filled right up with beer and gave me a great pour!

In all of the threads I have read about excessively foamy beer, I have not seen a single one recommend to check the O-rings. Everyone just throws out advice on line length, temperature, etc. Obviously, all of those are important... but once you have perfected that you have to check the keg itself!! Thankfully I had a "control" keg also in there to lead me to this solution!

Sweet! Glad you found the problem and posted the solution. I always try and inspect the oring said every time I clean a keg, but never would have thought excessive foaming would have been from a bad oring.

I must have lost it and forgot it during the cleaning process.

I used the o ring from the gas in post as a quick fix till I can get to the HBS for a new set. I am sure I am wasting some co2 at the moment, but probably not nearly as much as I was from purging the keg thinking that it was over carbed!

It is also interesting because the soapy-water leak test doesn't show this kind of leak since it is inside of the ball lock enclosure... Learn something new every day!

It is also interesting because the soapy-water leak test doesn't show this kind of leak since it is inside of the ball lock enclosure... Learn something new every day!

I spent a few minutes trying to figure out why I wasn't leaking CO2 Until I realized that....

With every snarky remark I get from you on the forum, I consider myself a better brewer...

Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back