one gallon wine kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
as stated before i'm not much of a wine drinker, however i have been starting to sample some. i am all set to brew 1 gallon batches, i have two 2 gallon primary buckets with lids and airlocks plus 6 or 8 one gallon carboys. does any supply store sell one gallon kits? would like to try a bunch cant dedicate the space for 5 or 6 gallon batches as my beer stuff is occupying that area, also with the little amount of wine we drink here i cant justify the cost of 60$ to 120$ a batch.
:mug:

It takes upwards of a year to get a wine that's drinkable. It just makes more sense to make larger batches and that's why you don't see gallon sized kits. Why not try making a country wine from fruit and/or juice? Surely there's a juice you like that would make a suitable wine and you can make it to any size you like.

the storage issue is another reason for the one gallon batches, i cant store anything large for extended period, i have space above my kitchen cabinets for a few one gallon bottles to set and forget so to speak. they can stay there for a hundred years, not a chance of fitting larger batches there. i have a gallon of the welches going, but if i'm gonna wait months to years i would like to make some proper wines, just a couple bottles at a time is fine with me.
one gallon wine making equipment kits are all over the web, one would think there would be one gallon ingredient kits to go along..:confused:

Friends, relatives, etc. Share a 6 gallon kit with some other people and go for it.

Look around for places that will sell you grape musts. When my buddy was getting into wine making a few years ago, we found a place in Virginia that you could order different varieties of crushed grapes and juice for home wine making. Since it was to-order, you could order whatever you wanted (not sure what the lowest quantity was).

Then you could just get a gallon of this and a gallon of that and make some wine. It's not as fancy as a box kit with ingredients, but if you know how to make wine, all you need is the juice and can figure out the other conditioning ingredients on your own.

I couldn't find it again, but I'm sure google is your friend...

thats kinda what i'm looking for, like i can go to my lhbs and get any amount of beer ingredients, was sortof hoping i can do the same with wine.
i do however have 2.5 lbs of highbush blueberries in the freezer.. hmm?

Or you could just buy enough fruit and make up a gallon batch. If you need some recipes for 1 of these check out the sister site to this place as we specialize in wine, I run that forum, just over here learning this side of beer making from you pros, Got a lot to learn by the way in the means of beer making. I dont find those small cans on red wine concentrate very good at all except for mixing in witha fruit wine to get something like a Blackberry Cab o something to that effect, by itself its pretty thin and shabby.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/

Or you could just buy enough fruit and make up a gallon batch. If you need some recipes for 1 of these check out the sister site to this place as we specialize in wine, I run that forum, just over here learning this side of beer making from you pros, Got a lot to learn by the way in the means of beer making. I dont find those small cans on red wine concentrate very good at all except for mixing in witha fruit wine to get something like a Blackberry Cab o something to that effect, by itself its pretty thin and shabby.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/
actually just signed up after making this thread...

I make all my wines in one gallon batches. All you really need is 3 lbs worth of fruit (could be frozen), 2 lbs of sugar, a gallon of water, and all the goodies like tannin, enzyme, acid blend, etc. Good to go!

Back