One gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's called the love of brewing REGARDLESS of the size of the batch. If it's not YOUR cup of tea, then don't worry about it. Let the folks who want to do it, do it, let the folks who want to do mega barrel batches do them too....And YOU just do what you want to do. And don't diss those who might choose to do it....There's a million ways to approach this hobby of ours, and they're all the right way for whomever chooses that path. Let people do what they want to do, and don't judge them....

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone, whether they want to brew 1 gallons batches, or brew a bmc clone. This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes. And for some people, that happens to be brewing one gallon batches.

Don't be a troll about it.

It's called the love of brewing REGARDLESS of the size of the batch. If it's not YOUR cup of tea, then don't worry about it. Let the folks who want to do it, do it, let the folks who want to do mega barrel batches do them too....And YOU just do what you want to do. And don't diss those who might choose to do it....There's a million ways to approach this hobby of ours, and they're all the right way for whomever chooses that path. Let people do what they want to do, and don't judge them....

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone, whether they want to brew 1 gallons batches, or brew a bmc clone. This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

And that was the sound of the Revmeister laying the smack down!

A LOT OF FOLKS brew 1 gallon batches...In fact Brooklyn Brew Works 1 gallon batches has probably done more for getting folks into all grain in the last couple of years then anything else in homebrewing. There's even a book on doing them. So clearly some folks don't happen to wonder about why folks do it.

51dhDhBE-sL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Lots of people on here do 1 gallon batches, INCLUDING ME ON OCCASSION.

The Basic Brewing folks have been advocating doing one gallon batches for years. INCLUDING BARLEYWINES.

Last month's episode was all about 1 gallon brewing.

Funny no one sneers if someone does a 1 gallon batch of wine, or mead, or apfelwein, but if it's beer folks have to have an opinion...which none of us really care about, so why should they have to justify it?

I would just let this thread die that feed someone's ego who clearly doesn't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I have a couple more fermenters I might do a few 1 gallon batches over the summer. Simply to have a few bottles of something different to drink and to increase my variety of beers available to drink in the house. :)

I do it because I don't drink enough to justify 5gal batches at home.

Another thing I have noticed is that after brewing 3bbl batches at work multiple times a week it is actually very difficult to scale back to smaller batches like this so it helps refine the brewing process quite a bit. Sure it's easy to build big beers at this scale, but to get the more subtle nuances of flavors takes a different level of thought to accomplish.

I like doing them because I can usually get my wife in on the process. I usually do the 5 gal multi-batch brew days with a few friends. I sure can't blame her for not wanting to hang out with a bunch of guys in someones garage, but a quick 1 gal brew in our kitchen seems to be more her speed. :)

I read about someone who did small batches because he was in a 500 sqft appartment and couldn't afford any more space. At 1 gallon, you probably have an 8 quart pot to use for your kettle. at 5 gallons, it isn't just a fermentor, but also a large pot, and heat source, etc.

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone, whether they want to brew 1 gallons batches, or brew a bmc clone. This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes. And for some people, that happens to be brewing one gallon batches.

Settle down Mr. Wizard. I was just asking as I may want to give it a try. Got some one gallon glass jugs, so maybe I'll do some Sake or a banana bread beer. Sometimes YOU just need to.........

You could have SAID you were interested in it in your post. Usually people who say something like, "What's the love in doing it, are trolling, and the 1 galloners get a lot of trolling. .Why do you need to ask WHY, when you already KNOW why you want to do it?

Instead just read the great thread about it, and join the conversation.....THey're a good bunch of people, but they suffer a lot of grief for wanting to do small batch brewing.

Touchy?

And that was the sound of the Revmeister laying the smack down!

Kiss ass. :D

No, just protective of the people who get trolled. If you've read any of the discussions on here about small batch brewing you see that there's always some asshat that feels that brewing small batches is a waste of time, and feels the need to share that opinion in the threads where folks are just trying to share info, and support each other. So much so that the small batch brewers want to have their own subforum, thinking that will keep the haters away from them. I keep telling them that we look after each other on here, and haters don't get much slack on here. That some of us care enough to stand up when others don't, and that we look after are own. And that brewers are brothers regardless of the size batches they brew, or if they brew extract, or bottle or want to brew bmc, or whatever some folks feel is worth denigrating on here. That usually someone won't suffer fools wisely and will have their back. ANd that person is usually me.....If you think defending the little guy is being touchy, then you have a scewed view of things....Me, I think that's just doing what people who care about other people do sometimes. *shrug*

So, why do YOU care, why the snarky comment?

No, just protective of the people who get trolled. If you've read any of the discussions on here about small batch brewing you see that there's always some asshat that feels that brewing small batches is a waste of time, and feels the need to share that opinion in the threads where folks are just trying to share info, and support each other. So much so that the small batch brewers want to have their own subforum, thinking that will keep the haters away from them. I keep telling them that we look after each other on here, and haters don't get much slack on here. That some of us care enough to stand up when others don't, and that we look after are own. And that brewers are brothers regardless of the size batches they brew, or if they brew extract, or bottle or want to brew bmc, or whatever some folks feel is worth denigrating on here. That usually someone won't suffer fools wisely and will have their back.

So, why do YOU care, why the snarky comment?

Meh. I didn't read into the OP what you did. But I suppose if the guy was trolling, I guess he won based on the rise he got out of you. ;)

Meh. I didn't read into the OP what you did. But I suppose if the guy was trolling, I guess he won based on the rise he got out of you. ;)

What rise? How am I risen? Choosing to voice one's opinion about something is getting trolled? Methinks the only one who has any emotion attached to this is you, for whatever reason, since you felt the need to come out of whatever hole you're in to lay some bait. He and I cleared it up...Looks like there is a troll in this thread...and it's not the op.

*yawn*

What rise? How am I risen? Choosing to voice one's opinion about something is getting trolled? Methinks the only one who has any emotion attached to this is you, for whatever reason, since you felt the need to come out of whatever hole you're in to lay some bait. He and I cleared it up...Looks like there is a troll in this thread...and it's not the op.

*yawn*

Yawn indeed...

You're the one that jumped all over the dude after a single post that your highness immedtiately deemed to be trolling. I'd say he hit a nerve. Maybe you disagree, whatevs, time for a beer.

:mug:

Hey PackerFan!

1-gallon is a good size if you ever want to experiment with malting your own grains. That's why I've grown to love the small batch!

It's also a good chance to build/practice the same skills you use for big brews.

I don't know how much a one-gal fermenter goes for in San Diego, but in Wpg, one can pick up a 1-gallon fermenter for around $5. This means if there's a can't-say-no offer on some fruit/fermentable, I can always take advantage.

I personally don't see myself ever putting forth the error required for a batch of beer, only to get a single gallon out of it. From what I can tell, it's essentially the same amount of work as a five gallon batch.

Doesn't mean their beer is any worse than mine. Might very well be better, as far as that goes.

I suppose that if I was going to do something odd or experimental, that might be worth it.

Either way... we're all making beer, no?

Yawn indeed...

You're the one that jumped all over the dude after a single post that your highness immedtiately deemed to be trolling. I'd say he hit a nerve. Maybe you disagree, whatevs, time for a beer.

:mug:

As far as that goes, PackerFan is pretty good at, shall we say, posting some thought provoking points of view. And the original tone seemed pretty condescending... which is in line with some of the bashing that the one gallon crowd seems to get.

I brewed my first one gallon batch today. I'm pretty excited but I didn't use a recipe so not sure how it will turn out. Tossed in 1 oz magnum and 1 oz fuggle think that's too much for one gallon? Did 60 and 45 mins for magnum then 20 and 5 for fuggle. Used 2 lbs malt adding little under half ar10 mins

I'm thinking it's gonna be hoppy. Too much? That's between you and your taste buds.

Another bonus of the one gallon batch - if it's too hoppy - make up more low-or-no hop wort, and mix the two. Ferment as a two gallon batch. Enjoy delicious, balanced beer in the end.

I have been interested in brewing test batches with one or two gallons instead of five. Are there any factors I need to consider in scaling back up to a normal sized batch?

After I did the second hop addition I said to my self "I think I've crossed to ipa" I have another lb of extract maybe ill mix some up and add it

Revvy's a reactor, yes, but he's essential to the forum and to the hobby. We love him, and we need him; we just don't always agree with his reactions. He comes down hard and bold on people who [most of the time] need a bold hard reaction, so I admire that. Every marksman has to miss the target some time or another, and our friend Revvy is no different. Whether or not he hit the mark on this one is not something I've evaluated for this thread in particular, but regardless, I generally support him.

As for the the topic per the OP, once you've got your handle on ingredients, impacts on various parameters of the process by different inputs (time, temperature, volume, material, etc.), small experimental batches aren't necessary as long as you have the capacity for your usual larger batch size. Limited capacity, amount of experimentation desired, and other factors might make it more reasonable to make one gallon at a time for some people. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, that may give a person an advantage in the long run if they are experimental at heart. Even if they are not limited by creativity, but by capacity - at least they are brewing beer at home within their means. I solute anyone making necessary adjustments to make their own beverage of choice at home, however they do it!

Have you ever tried to perfect a recipe doing five gallon batches? If you don't constantly have parties, or brew for large groups it simply takes too long to do enough batches to find the right recipe.

It is also good if you like to try out brewing multiple, or new styles.

Have you ever tried to perfect a recipe doing five gallon batches? If you don't constantly have parties, or brew for large groups it simply takes too long to do enough batches to find the right recipe.

It is also good if you like to try out brewing multiple, or new styles.

This!

Also, I'm guessing I simply don't see the need for 5 gallons of any one beer the same way some 5+ galloners don't see the need for all that "work" to only get 8-10 beers. I am about trying different beer, not consuming mass quantities. I haven't bought a beer I've had before in several months, and I really don't plan to anytime soon. So many people talk about their brewing in terms of size of batches instead of diversity of brews. I've been opened up so many new beers with this attitude and brewed some great ones...and some bad.

Experimenting is also a plus...I've done my IPA and IIPA through 20+ tweaks over the past 1-2 years. Different temps, different hop times and additions, spices, etc. I just like to explore brewing, not have an entire fridge full.

Even as I'm "going larger" now...I'm only going to 2, maybe 3 gallons at most. I don't see the need for more than a case of any beer.

EDIT--While not trolling, posting one sentence doesn't quite help us clear up what exactly you want in an answer.

3osbgs.jpg

Back