one fly added to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
During my last brew, a small fly maybe a gnat got into my boil. I saw it swirling around but couldnt find it afterwards. It probably boiled for about 30 minutes. Right now, fermentation is starting to slow down and the fly is floating at the top. Is there any chance of infection or did the boil destroy those nasties?

It's spring time !! Soon summer and I will be fighting off the honey bees that are attracted to my boil while the house flies are crawling on my tubing, auto siphon, and fermenters all of which I just got through sanitizing.

Be sure to put it down in your brew log.... if it turns out to be real good, you may want to add a fly next batch....

Gnats Eye Ale:mug: That won't be the first time you get something in your brew... at least it was boiled first.
I don't remember who said this, but one guy was racking his brew on bottling day. It was a carboy that was covered with a sweatshirt. But he saw something strange floating around inside. Lifting the shirt away to find that his three-year-old son had been pulling the stopper out of the carboy and dropping crayons and action figures into the brew. LOL:cross:

Gnats Eye Ale:mug: That won't be the first time you get something in your brew... at least it was boiled first.

Made Biermuncher's Black Pearl Porter last fall and while straining into the fermenter found 3 silver maple leaves that had fallen into the wort during the boil when I wasn't watching. Named it Maple Leaf Porter. Tasted great.

Moral of the story is no big deal. Hopefully he didn't drink to much before his demise.

Had a Dragon Fly literally Dive bomb a full boil. Hence, Dragon Fly Stout. You are fine, especially due to the fact that it was during the boil. Ya boiled off all the nasties from that little Suicidal Bastage. :cross:

+1 it's fine.

I've had a few flying critters have horrible accidents in my boil kettle. The ones I saw, I was able to fish out, but it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Had a black walnut from one of my trees fall into an APA once.

I'm sure there are other things I didn't notice, too. :)

Last month I had a hornet in my boil for who knows how long. I am very allergic to the things, but it turned out great.

Hop-Hornet Amarillo SMaSH

a fly during the boil is nothign to sweat.

I was helping a friend bottle his beer and we found a big old bumblebee (the fat kind) in the fermenter when we opened it up.

Beer turned out fine.

We had a fraggin ant attack today at the start of the boil. The little bastiges were climbing all up and around a keggle under full heat. We figured their feet musta been pretty damned hot.

Almost certain some of them found their way into the boiling wort.

I don't remember who said this, but one guy was racking his brew on bottling day. It was a carboy that was covered with a sweatshirt. But he saw something strange floating around inside. Lifting the shirt away to find that his three-year-old son had been pulling the stopper out of the carboy and dropping crayons and action figures into the brew. LOL:cross:

did he bottle his action figure stout!?

Back