Once again I need your opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I let the mrs choose the next brew I will do after a few cheap kits with cane sugar (cheap, nasty but something to drink) and she would like a pilsner of sorts, dry and hoppy (and as cheap as possible) So heres my recipe:

Volume: 13.8L (3.5 US Gallons)
Method: Extract
Batch Name: New Zealand Pilsner

3.3lb Light Malt Extract (I dont know id I can get pilsner extract at the LHBS)
0.5oz Green Bullet (13% - 60 min)
0.9oz Saaz (4% - 15 min)
0.5tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
3.5oz Cane Sugar
SafLager S-23 West European Lager Yeast

IBU: 45
ABV: 3.4%

So... more saaz and less green bullet? What else? Bear in mind I am buying malt extract in 1.5kg (3.3lb) tins and dont really want to put two in as this will put the price right up. Doesnt need to be great, just refreshing and good to drink after a hard days work :)

Cheers, :tank:
Pommy

What's you OG? Those IBUs look pretty high to me for a 3.4% abv beer. If you want light and refreshing, I'd knock that down by at least 10 IBUs. Also doesn't look very hoppy though you say you're looking for hoppy. I'd add some Saaz at 0 minutes, the quantity depends on how hoppy you want it.

I don't do extract and I don't do pilseners, so I'll let others comment on possible steeping grains. Also, be aware that you're posting at a time that's the middle of the night for most people on this board. So, if you wanna bump this, do it in 9 hours or something.

I agree; that's really bitter, and way out of balance. If you're going to use Green Bullet, cut the 60-minute amount by half. I like the idea of finishing with Saaz. I'd not add them until you switch the heat off; you'll get more flavor and aroma that way.

If I were you, I'd cut the post-boil amount to 3 US gallons. That'll get your OG up to something more appropriate (~1.045). Your IBU from a quarter-ounce of Green Bullet at 13%AA will be ~27; you'll get no bittering contribution from the Saaz at flameout, but you'll get a nice flavor and aroma.

Because you're using extract, the color will be darker than you might like, but there's no getting round that.

I don't think you really need to add any specialty grains; you're after a light, spritzy lager beer here.

Your yeast selection is good. Just be sure to practice good temperature control and keep the ferment in S-23's range.

Good luck!

Bob

Cheers guys :mug:

taking all that into account I'll change the recipe to:

Volume: 11.5L (3 US Gallons)
Method: Extract
Batch Name: New Zealand Pilsner

3.3lb Light Malt Extract (I dont know id I can get pilsner extract at the LHBS)
0.35oz Green Bullet (12.5% - 60 min)
0.9oz Saaz (4% - 10 min)
0.9oz Saaz (4% 0 min)
0.5tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
3.5oz Cane Sugar
SafLager S-23 West European Lager Yeast

IBU: 35.1
OG: 1.042
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.1

How we looking now? Sorry about the measurements, I'm converting from metric. Also should I add the extract in the last 15mins to keep the colour as light as possible or add 1.1lb to start and then the rest at 15mins or what? Ive decided to keep some bitterness (35IBU - 45IBU is the range for the style?) as this has effectively changed from a cheap batch to a half batch :drunk: Im not surprised.

Thanks for your help guys, Its great to get advice from the community, as this is only my second recipe of my own it helps to have people with experience give my their two cents.

:mug:

You should just boil all of the extract the whole time, IMHO. If it were my beer, I'd knock the IBUs down to around 32 or lower. I made a British bitter that's in the bottle and in drinking shape now, and it was also 1.042 and it had 36.3 IBUs. And to me, it's too bitter. I'd knock it down to 32 if I were to do it over.

If you don't know, you can target your bitterness based on your gravity. If you take your IBUs, 35 and divide by your gravity, 42, you get .833 as your IBU/OG ratio. That's a bit high for an easy drinking beer. It's all style dependent too and depends on how bitter you like your beer. But 32 IBUs would give you a .76 IBU/OG ratio, which is still pretty bitter but I think would drink a bit easier. Just my opinion. Personally, I might even knock it down to 30 or 28, but that's your call. For clean, pale beers that I still want a decent amount of bittering in, I usually shoot for .70 to .75 for the IBU/OG.

this has effectively changed from a cheap batch to a half batch

Personally, I might even knock it down to 30 or 28, but that's your call. For clean, pale beers that I still want a decent amount of bittering in, I usually shoot for .70 to .75 for the IBU/OG.

Less hops = Cheaper

Back