On site brewclubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyKettleBrewing

Reaction score
So, I am completely obsessed with this fermenting sugar water thingy we got going. I, like many others, fantasize about brewing on a professional level. Although not realistic at this juncture (current biz occupies 90% of my time), I considered the thought of a membership type homebrew club where members can brew on site. What legalities in only providing the equipment and ingredients? I am sure that this has already been considered but web searches for my area only yield brew supplies, pubs and breweries. Does anyone know of any such endeavors in their neck of the woods and could it be a succesful business? Thoughts and opionions also welcome.

Check with a local lawyer or alcohol authorities. They'll know better than a bunch of guys on a discussion forum.

My LHBS allows brew on site, they also teach various classes, from first brew to AG, using their equipment (or your own).

I can't see it really being a successful business. Anyone serious about brewing is going to have their own equipment and you can brew with a very small, cheap set up. You might get a few patrons that live in small apartments or something that would give you some long term business, but probably not enough to be profitable. You could teach classes, but the enrollment would likely be small. A membership club would probably go over better. You could have club meetings, group brews, tastings, that kind of thing and possibly cover expenses with dues, but I wouldn't count on making any money on the deal.

maddad said:
So, I am completely obsessed with this fermenting sugar water thingy we got going. I, like many others, fantasize about brewing on a professional level. Although not realistic at this juncture (current biz occupies 90% of my time), I considered the thought of a membership type homebrew club where members can brew on site. What legalities in only providing the equipment and ingredients? I am sure that this has already been considered but web searches for my area only yield brew supplies, pubs and breweries. Does anyone know of any such endeavors in their neck of the woods and could it be a succesful business? Thoughts and opionions also welcome.

this exists in my area. Deja Brew in Shrewsbury, MA. i dont think its horribly popular but they've been in business for quite a while

There is a place up the 5 from you in Huntington Beach that does it...http://brewbakers1.com/. I could see it being popular as a one time gig but once somebody is hooked they will start doing it at home.

yea. its a really popular gift certificate around the holidays, then ppl either loved it and buy a kit, or hated it and never go back

Aside from all the legalities, I am gauging opinion on whether an idea like this is destined to fail before even pouring the foundation. I was leaning towards a membership type social brewing club that would include group buys for ingredients and also constructive criticism/advice from members. I joined a local homebrew club, mostly for feedback as I am growing tired of my beers being compared to Sam Adams lager even though it was a hop bursted IIPA. Not really looking to make a profit but at least have it pay for itself. I have space so the next step is determining interest before spending time looking into permits, insurance, and more. Agree that most hobbyists have all the materials needed but I have also met many brewers who are eager to drive out of their way to meet up and brew beer together. Just imagine not having to haul all of your goods around. I have to give this more thought.

Taking away the membership aspect, these are often called 'brew on premise' - if you search or google on that I imagine you'll find more info.

Taking away the membership aspect, these are often called 'brew on premise' - if you search or google on that I imagine you'll find more info.

Web search resulted in some discouraging reads. Looks as though many have tried and many have failed. I believe that to be succesful this type of service would have to be mostly affiliated with an already operational brew supply store. The idea of a social club can be accomodated with the space I have available at my shop. Then again, I can always offer to host for the club I am already associated with. Thanks to all for the feedback. Seems as though this idea will have to sit at the back of my mind for a little while longer.

Back