On-Hand IPA... Make any sense? (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goliath86

Reaction score
Im new to this, so bear with me please...

Im home on springbreak, and wanted to brew an IPA. I have plenty of hops to play with, just not much in the specialty malt department... Atleast not until ~Weds.

I just wanted to know if this was going to make any sense. At all.

12.5 lbs Pale Malt.
.250 lbs Caramunich
.250 lbs Wheat Malt (Was looking for a little added head retention mostly.)

2.00 oz Columbus [15.4%] 60 min -- Whole
1.00 oz Cascade [7.1%] 30 min -- Whole
1.00 oz Cascade [7.1%] 10 min -- Whole
1.00 oz Cascade [7.1%] 1 min -- Whole

1-2 oz Centennial or Cascade -- Dry hop for about a week.

Mash at 152 for 60 min.
S-05 american ale yeast.

I also have 1-2 oz whole Amarillo and 3 oz whole Chinook, 1lb of COlumbus, 1lb of Cascade... few oz of warrior... If anyone feels those may be more fitting for anything...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Looks good. Sometimes simple is a good thing. On a personal note, I would drop the 30 min and add at the late addition for more aroma

use pellets as well unless you have the right equipment. also i agree move the 30 to flame out. dont forget to whorl

Sick.
Thanks for all the input.

2.00 oz Columbus [15.4%] 60 min -- Whole
1.00 oz Cascade [7.1%] 10 min -- Whole
1.00 oz Cascade [7.1%] 5 min -- Whole
1.00 oz Cascade [7.1%] 1 min -- Whole

... Better? More sensible?

Looks delicious. You could also move the Columbus to FWH for just a touch more bite to it, and for your dry hop why not use both the Centennial AND the Cascade?

Brewed it.
Everything seems to be within the parameters that I was looking for... Assuming I remember, Ill try to post a photo or something in a several weeks when Its finished.

I thought about the FWH...

But, from the creeping I have done on the threads I get am sensing a little mixed reaction as to how effective it is for IPA's... But I suppose that a recipe that is off the cuff is probably the best place to play around with such things...

I was thinking the same in regards as to the dry hopping... (Cascade AND Centennial)

And, in a stroke of drunken genius, if it comes out well... Ill call it 'When in Doubt IPA'.. Referencing standardized tests, when your just meant to answer 'C' for everything...

Chinook Dry hop anyone?... A little bit of that Resin-y goodness?...

Back