Omnipollo “4:21 DOUBLE RASPBERRY/VANILLA SMOOTHIE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braindead

Reaction score
“GRAIN
Pilsner malt, 2.65kg/5lbs 13.5oz (60%)
Wheat, 880g/1lb 15oz (20%)
Flaked oats, 440g/15.5oz (10%)
MASH
67C/152F for 75 mins
HOPS
(60 minute boil)
Mosaic, 27g/1oz, 10 mins
Mosaic, 67g/2.4oz, whirlpool
Mosaic, 200g/7oz, dry hop for 3 days
YEAST
Fermentis S-04 English Ale
FERMENT
19C/66F
OTHER INGREDIENTS
Dextrose, 440g/15.5oz (10%), in the boil
Lactose, after the boil, to raise the OG by 3P (about 12-13 specific gravity points); around 700g/ 1lb 8oz
Fresh raspberries, 1.3kg/2lbs 13.9oz, and 2.5 vanilla pods sliced down the middle, after primary fermentation, before dry hopping”

Has anyone brewed this or a Milkshake?
Spoke to the guys from Omnipollo, they said use raspberry puree

Haven't brewed one of these yet but plan to soon. I know Jean from Tired Hands said in a podcast that they dry hop after aging on the fruit puree/vanilla for the milkshake beers. Any specific reason for the dextrose?

Haven't brewed one of these yet but plan to soon. I know Jean from Tired Hands said in a podcast that they dry hop after aging on the fruit puree/vanilla for the milkshake beers. Any specific reason for the dextrose?

The dextrose is listed as an ingredient.
I guess that's the "milk"-part in milkshake.

Omnipollo uses dextrose in a lot of things, and in their range of Milkshakes it really adds to the flavour, so I wouldn't leave it out.

EDIT: I misread "Dextrose" as "Lactose". That's why this reply is so confusing. Sorry guys.

The lactose actually provides the milk per say. It is milk sugar basically. Dextrose is there for abv or just to dry the beer out.

I made this - didn't use raspberries (or Mosaic) but a mix of summer fruits instead (Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants). Here's my first pour

Full write up here

I'm on a bit of an Omnipollo kick this year. Have made a Mango variant of this and a Yellow Belly tribute too.

They've all been great beers.

All those links are in French... they're pic heavy and if google translate doesn't unpick any questions you have... please fire away here. Happy to help and share my experiences with these Scandinavian style beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at making a varation of this Omni Pollo.
Loved the raspberry but want to try something different.

I`m sticking with the grain bill but want to change up the fruit to something more tropical.
Would Azaca work with this as I`ve been hearing good things about it.
Maybe with Mangoes, Pinapple and Papaya puree.

Would love your thoughts guys.

Wishing I could brew something like this.
https://www.valhallasgoat.com/northern-monk-neapolitan-ice-cream-can-330ml

Sounds pretty good. How long do you think the beer sits on the raspberries and vanilla before dry hopping?

I'd like to know more about the process with the fruit. How long? How do you sanitize the fruit?

I was just thinking of a similar recipe but with mango and a hint of bourbon.

I added the fruit for around 14 days
I used frozen fruit then sprayed with star San, puréed and added to the ferm.
Was weird reaction going on in the ferm, the purée split and most floated to the top. Gave it a gentle shake each day and it slowly dropped.
Turned out really nice though
Just want a change of hops next time but unsure what

I'm thinking of trying this out too, although I'd quite like to keep costs down and am thinking of halving the quantity of hops for dry-hopping. Is that going to kill it?

I’ll answer some question here since I make these quite often. All you need is your best NEIPA grainbill mashed at 152 and then a 5-7% lactose. I would personally make a tincture with the vanilla beans (2-3 scraped and diced ) and an 1.5 oz of high quality vodka. You don’t need to sanitize the fruit, just purée it. You have lots of hops and alcohol already in the beer so you risk of infection is extremely low. When it comes to fruit 1lb/gallon of total fruit seems to be a solid amount. Your fruit and vanilla willProvide most of your flavor so I feel mosaic and citra in dryhop are you best options since they will give enough aroma that lets you know hops are in there and Cheaper than galaxy (though you could certainly use galaxy) I only age on fruit 5-7 days. You’re puréeing the fruit so it will be extracted and fermented easily. Tincture is added at kegging and use your best anti oxygen practices.

I personally don’t know why you would add dextrose in a milkshake ipa, especially since you’re adding lactose. They will literally cancel each other out, one is 99% fermentable and one is 99% unfermentable

Last edited:
Last time I brewed it I kept the same hopping bill but massively upped the fruit and vanilla.
Think I added 5kg of fruit in 5 gallon, a mix of blackberries and raspberries.
I didn't sanitise it just pureed it as it was frozen fruit.
Id go with Dgallo and leave the fruit for about 5 days.

Back