Omg swmbo byo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
I'm going to start believing in bigfoot, the Lock Ness monster, and all the rest. I've seen something even more unbelievable. Last night, my wife brewed beer.

Allow me to preface this by saying I think that women should brew beer, and I'm always disappointed by the gender imbalance in the hobby. But I never thought that my wife would want to take the lead on brewing a beer. She always helps with bottling, is willing to taste everything (and likes a few of my brews), and asks insightful questions about the process, but she's never expressed an interest in the actual hands-on making of it.

The local Meijer (a Great Lakes regional Walmart) is closing out their Brooklyn Brewshop kits from the holidays ($10). There was a miscommunication between us, and she bought three kits while picking up groceries. I was going to go return them, when she excitedly said, while looking at the "Afternoon Wheat" kit, "I could make this!" I did a quick about face, putting the kit I was holding back on the counter, and said, "Then let's brew some beer tonight!"

I let her take the lead, providing support where I could, and she's now the proud mother of 1 gallon of fermenting wheat beer. She's very proud.

Will she slap on the rubber boots and join me on brew days? I doubt it. But we started talking today about how she could start earlier in the afternoon so the process wouldn't take so long, and I'm going to put together some kits for her so she can get up and running when I'm not around.

tl;dr: I have an awesome wife.

Definitely a keeper! Lol

My wife is very supportive and my daughter helps with brew days but they wouldn't take on the process themselves.

Sweet! Mine just wants to drink it and can't stand the smell of fresh hops lol

Mine waited till tax time one year to ask if she could go in the lhbs with me. I was floored, to say the least. I had here pick out a beer kit & let her brew it. I just provided guidance as the instructor. She did a great job, saying it was a lot like cooking soup or stew. So I'm with ya there! :mug:

Mine supports me too, just in a different way. She always let's me brew whatever she wants to drink. She is obviously impressed with the amount of money we save because reminds me how much I spend at the LHBS. She knows how I like things neat and tidy because she tells me when I don't clean up after myself. She compliments me on the room note of my latest creation because she always comments on how the smell doesn't leave the house for hours. She's really impressed with my bargain hunting abilities, why just the other day she yelled "those new Perlick faucets cost how much?!?". She is also very concerned with keeping my brew equipment safe and sound, otherwise she wouldn't always say things like "would you get this whisk thingy and that ugly copper dodad the hell out of the kitchen?"

We sure are lucky!

Mine supports me too, just in a different way. She always let's me brew whatever she wants to drink. She is obviously impressed with the amount of money we save because reminds me how much I spend at the LHBS. She knows how I like things neat and tidy because she tells me when I don't clean up after myself. She compliments me on the room note of my latest creation because she always comments on how the smell doesn't leave the house for hours. She's really impressed with my bargain hunting abilities, why just the other day she yelled "those new Perlick faucets cost how much?!?". She is also very concerned with keeping my brew equipment safe and sound, otherwise she wouldn't always say things like "would you get this whisk thingy and that ugly copper dodad the hell out of the kitchen?"

We sure are lucky!

Omg, thank you for this. You might also be married to my wife.

Sweet! Mine just wants to drink it and can't stand the smell of fresh hops lol

I'm in a similar situation. My wife is definately supportive and loves all my brews even when I don't, but she HATES the smell of fresh/boiling hops.

We sure are lucky!

I'm with ya, bud. But, gaining more and more support (indifference?) from her as time passes.

Mine will drink as much of my beer as she can, so she has to help bottling at the least. Once in a while I force her to stir the boil, but so far it's been a blue job. Pink takes care of the cooking.

Mine started brewing/helping me brew after I suggested we brew a batch for a "beer swap" party instead of buying a case. After the beer she brewed won door prizes she started to get what I was talking about with all of the brewing. She got to take a few bottles down to her parents and I think she was very subtley bragging! Haha.

Still waiting on my GF to pick up the mash paddle with me, though she is definitely more interested after I brewed a really crisp German lager and calls it the "fancy beer", haha. She barely drinks at all, which is great whenever we go out because she is the best DD ever, but makes it hard to get her more into the hobby.

Back