OMG Mead is my new favorite drink. My first Mead brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I recently tried Mead for the first time and the taste was honestly better than anything I ever tried even mixed drinks. I added some sugar to it when I started so its not traditional. I only fermented for a week so it was probably 6%-9% alcohol but it definitely tasted different than honey. It has a sweet beer/caramel taste honestly way better than I expected. I used 2 pounds of honey per gallon and a cup of sugar it definitely takes a lot longer than fruit juice though. Im going to let it sit another week at least but I might do 2 weeks it still hasn't formed the yeast cake on the bottom. In my apple juice wine it only takes 5-7 days to form a cake.

I will let you all know how it turns out after fully fermenting its still bubbling at the moment. I used Lavin K1-V1116 yeast so its possible it can get 17% alcohol. I love strong drinks I mostly like the effect never understood drinking without getting drunk seems like a waste to me.

So I drank 2 cups today and it does taste good but not as good. This was made with walmart brand clover honey its been 13 days but its still bubbling. I drank the rest of the low ABV mead it tasted different more carmel flavor I used nature nates raw and unfiltered honey the first batch. Its definitely higher in alcohol after the extra 6 days it really has a strong taste and im somewhat intoxicated feel like I had 3 or 4 shots. It finally formed a yeast cake but the different honey really makes a different taste.

Welcome to the mead fam! Mead usually comes out rocket fuel then mellows over time. Make sure to pick up a hydrometer if you haven't yet! It's always good to have accurate sugar readings and also know what you're ABV is!
Different honey have different taste and profiles. If you're ever up for an experiment try picking up some Buckwheat, Tupelo, and Meadowfoam. All three will be vastly different to where you could pick them apart easy. I have a cupboard of 20-30 different types of honey some (like carrot honey) I haven't even tried yet lol

Im buying some yeast nutrient and a hydrometer next brew I will try using both. I think its fermentation is really slow because I didn't add any nutrients.

I usually don't touch my mead until it's been in the bottle at least six months. It gets much better with time.

I have an apricot melomel that's been in tertiary for almost a year. Plan on bottling next month. It will still get six months before opening a bottle.

Time is the mead makers best friend.

Im buying some yeast nutrient and a hydrometer next brew I will try using both. I think its fermentation is really slow because I didn't add any nutrients.

Nutrients will definitely help your next batch. Please check this out So you've had your first mead... not as an exhaustive instructions, but more as a primer to making good mead. And 18+% ABV mead will kick your arse especially without any sulfites in it. I gave out some 12oz bottles once, and the reports I got back from people expecting beer like alcohol contents (despite being warned otherwise) were hilarious.

I am there with you. I am doing my first real mead, I did a carbonated session mead a few years ago, but this is my first full strength mead. A friend of mine and I split 6 pound tub of Tupelo honey. I did a 12 oz bottle for him when taking over Christmas gifts. I did a small sample glass, and man it tastes good and I know it will only get better with time.

Yeah, about $10 a pound. But that meads she's as sweet as Tupelo honey
She's an angel of the first degree
She's as sweet as Tupelo honey
Just like honey, baby, from the bee

Back