Omega's new Gulo Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirthfuldragon

Reaction score
Per Omega:
Gulo Ale is the latest creation to emerge from the curious minds of our R&D team. The progeny of Irish Ale (OYL-005) and French Saison (OYL-026), this true genetic hybrid is a beast at devouring sugars, which creates a very dry beer without any of the peppery, clove phenolics associated with saisons and Belgian ales. Expect a citrus-forward aroma with hints of peach and a clean finish. Gulo Ale excels in any style where a high level of attenuation is desired without phenolics. We love using it in an IPA (including a brut IPA), stout, or Bière de Garde. Non-phenolic. Patent Pending.
As a fan of dry beers (and a Chicago-area resident), I am excited about this one. I have a bunch of Medusa and Zappa hops (neo-mexicanus) that I think would do well in a quasi-Saison for spring drinking. Then maybe a Citra brut and a traditional biere de garde.

@mirthfuldragon Did you end up using the Omega Gulo yeast strain? I'm planning on using it this weekend in a 1.060 OG American Stout with a touch of Lotus, Amarillo and Bravo in the late boil and whirlpool. I'm hoping it finishes at or near 1.007-1.008 (a bit dry for the style, yes, but I don't brew for competitions).

@mirthfuldragon Did you end up using the Omega Gulo yeast strain? I'm planning on using it this weekend in a 1.060 OG American Stout with a touch of Lotus, Amarillo and Bravo in the late boil and whirlpool. I'm hoping it finishes at or near 1.007-1.008 (a bit dry for the style, yes, but I don't brew for competitions).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/omega-oyl-501-gulo.663426/

Mine both finished around 1.007/1.008, in a light grainbill mashed low. Depending on how much crystal malt you use, it might finish a little higher in a stout. It also might inch a litttle lower given time, but given the hopping rates I was using, I elected to keg around three weeks to avoid potential oxidation (I use plastic Fermonsters, which leaves open the possibility of O2 across the plastic).

Latest posts

Back