Omega Pilsner I

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with this yeast?

According to the directions, if you don't make a starter, the yeast is under three months old, and your OG is ~1.040, you can direct pitch around 65° and after active fermentation starts, the gradually bring the temp down to fermentation temps - about 55°.

All went well for me - brewed the wort and stuck it in ferm chamber overnight and the next day I pitched at 65°. There was good airlock activity 48 hours later, dropped temp 2° the next morning. Airlock activity slowed by the evening. The next day I dropped temp 2° more. No airlock activity by that evening. I dropped temp 2° more the next day. Bubble in the airlock is now going the other way. If 2° isn't "gradual", I don't know what is.

I'm not worried about it. This could just be a fast fermenting yeast. I just want to know if others have experienced the same behavior under the same conditions. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, but will when it's D-rest time. Just don't want to take the lid off unless necessary.

Thoughts?

The temp change itself is contracting the [beer] and pulling the airlock fluid into the fermenter. Maybe the outward pressure of fermentation CO2 is present, just not enough to counter the temp-induced contraction? Just a guess.

Last edited:
The temp change itself is contracting the wort and pulling the airlock fluid into the fermenter. Maybe the outward pressure of fermentation CO2 is present, just not enough to counter the temp-induced contraction? Just a guess.
Honestly, that was my guess too. The airlock kinda reminded me of cold crashing, just not as extreme. So it's entirely possible that the CO2 production balanced with the wort contraction for a couple days.

I usually pitch lagers much colder, usually around 46-48F, then ferment around 48-50F. I generally use a 2L starter.

This is possibly Pilsner Urquell, WLP800 or related. Which I have read is possibly by DNA an ale yeast rather than a Pilsner Yeast. Is the Omega possible an ale yeast as well?

Don’t forget to open ferment like they do with Pilsner Urquell !!

Attachments

• 9D7B3CA2-CD4F-4EBA-A853-995DC2745F1A.jpeg
    9D7B3CA2-CD4F-4EBA-A853-995DC2745F1A.jpeg
    961.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The warm pitch instructions are unfortunately a crutch for budget limited and/or lazier brewers who don't want to buy multiple packs or make a starter. The workaround isn't ideal as you'll push more esters than you really want for a pilsner.

I usually pitch lagers much colder, usually around 46-48F, then ferment around 48-50F. I generally use a 2L starter.

This is possibly Pilsner Urquell, WLP800 or related. Which I have read is possibly by DNA an ale yeast rather than a Pilsner Yeast. Is the Omega possible an ale yeast as well?

Don’t forget to open ferment like they do with Pilsner Urquell !!

I see you too have visited the brewery!

Thanks for the replies and yes, @Bobby_M , I am one of those lazy brewers always trying to cut a corner here and there, but in this case my flask went MIA since I moved last year and I didn't remember the whole starter thing until brew day so I decided to give the ol' no starter pitch a try.

At the end of the day, it looks like my fermenter (vittles vault) isn't as air-tight as it used to be and everything fermented just fine. Gravity on D-rest day was 1.014 - just where I wanted it to be.

Back