Omega Lutra October Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epml74

Reaction score
Lots of people are doing "lager like" beers with Omega Lutra. Looking to see if anyone has done an October Fest with Lutra or other Kveik strains.

Any tips, tricks or recommendations are appreciated.

Eric

If you treat Lutra like a normal ALE yeast,ie, 68*-72* give it 2-3 weeks in the primary then keg and condition for 2-3 weeks and you get a very lager like crystal clear beer. I seems to like a 1/2 tps of fermaid K per 5 gal batch , a full 1 L pitch and from 148* mash to 152* and a lager grain bill all (4) of my Lutras finished at 1.010.

I’ve tried two lager-like beers with Lutra and it’s not as fast a turnaround as they market that kveik.

Plan on cold conditioning it for at least 4 weeks. Both my beers took a while to clean up visually and flavorwise.

Think of a similar timeline as US-05 with Lutra.

I just completed a traditional lager style beer with Lutra. Fermented down to 1.008 in about 4 days at garage temps (approx 82 deg). Transferred to a keg after 9 days and it was crystal clear without cold crashing or any clarifying additions. I harvested some yeast and will be trying an Oktoberfest in the coming weeks. I am also curious about the how this will work with the malty/bready flavors. Hopefully someone has some experience with this and can provide some insight.

I’ve tried two lager-like beers with Lutra and it’s not as fast a turnaround as they market that kveik.

Plan on cold conditioning it for at least 4 weeks. Both my beers took a while to clean up visually and flavorwise.

Think of a similar timeline as US-05 with Lutra.
That or use biofine and a floating diptube. I did this last year with Lutra and it turned out nicely. It's not going to fool anyone but it makes for pretty clean beers, especially amber and brown beers. You can make a really good vienna, oktoberfest, and/or dunkel with it.

Latest posts

Back