Omega Kolsch II vs. White Labs 029. Same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
insufficient privileges? so i have to pay money to enter a contest... yikes

I've never used Omega because nobody in my area carries it and I don't like ordering yeast online.

029 works well though.

Yes you are listed as "Member" unless you pay. You get rid of adds and attain features if you pay. It is not much and keeps this site going.

I love WY 2565 for my kolsch. Takes FOREVER to clear, but damn it makes a good Kolsch.
I have used Wy2565 many times and does take a long time to clear, thats why I wanted to try Omega kolsch II. I almost feel like Wy2565 clears better if left warm 70 - 73 for a couple weeks. Plus the ambient temperature of my basement is a lil warmer than i like at bout 67. Kolsch II is supposedly more forgiving at warmer temps.

I have used Wy2565 many times and does take a long time to clear, thats why I wanted to try Omega kolsch II. I almost feel like Wy2565 clears better if left warm 70 - 73 for a couple weeks. Plus the ambient temperature of my basement is a lil warmer than i like at bout 67. Kolsch II is supposedly more forgiving at warmer temps.

Actually I usually use a strain multiple times (probably 4-6 times on average) by saving it in a mason jar. By the third generation with WY2565 I noticed greatly improved clarity in the beer. Likely it's a bit of natural selection as each time I use it the hard to clear yeast gets transferred to the keg with the beer. I've since tried to speed this along when starting a new pitch by doing at least a two step starter, decanting after the first step. I haven't noticed a change in flavor to go along with the improved clarity.

My personal comparisons...

WLP029: Good yeast. Clears ok. I've gotten two best of show's with it. A go to for most folks. Do a starter.
WY2565: Better authentic kolsch flavor. Doesn't clear worth a damn. If you filter or have months to wait, go for it.
Giga 021: Clears the best, slightly cleaner than WLP029 but still a bit of kolsch funk. Not as widely available.
Omega: Hard to distinguish from WLP029 but clears slightly slower. More cells for the buck.

I pitched at 18c on the low end of recommendation. Its in ferm chamber now for 48 hrs...zero krausen. Not certain what to think yet. Im not opening up to inspect..Ill let it ride for a while, and hopefully when I transfer to keg its done. Maybe open it up, purge, test gravity, purge more and close up.

I pitched at 18c on the low end of recommendation. Its in ferm chamber now for 48 hrs...zero krausen. Not certain what to think yet. Im not opening up to inspect..Ill let it ride for a while, and hopefully when I transfer to keg its done. Maybe open it up, purge, test gravity, purge more and close up.
Which yeast? How fresh? How big a batch? Did you make a yeast starter?
Don't open it up, if the fermenter is opaque peek down the airlock hole. Use a flashlight through the side

Back