Omega Jovaru (OYL-061) bottom fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a simple lager recipe. (approx. 70% 2-row, 20% wheat malt, 10% corn syrup, 10 Plato SG, 15 IBU) For this brew, I tried my hand at a no-boil/raw ale. I pasturized the wort after run off at 180F for 15 min and then chilled to 75F into primary. My Jovaru yeast showed signs of active fermentation within 4 hrs as expected but what was very surprising to me was that it appears to be a bottom fermenting yeast strain. I expected this to be similar to an ale strain. Has anyone that has used this strain noticed similar fermentation characteristics? Could this yeast be related to a lager yeast? My starter wort tasted excellent and I'm excited to see what comes of this beer.

I can take a couple of pictures if anyone is interested. I haven't been able to find a ton of information on this yeast besides the widely recognized lars blog and an article on milk the funk. Has anyone else noticed interested characteristics that may not be recorded?

Thanks.

EDIT. Jovaru is OYL-033 not 061. My mistake.

Last edited:
Back