Omega Hefeweizen OYL -021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Any opinions on Omega's Hefeweizen yeast? Reportedly the same strain as Wyeast 3068, but with more cells (again, reportedly) and actually somehow a little cheaper than Wyeast at Ritebrew. If the reviews are good, I'll try it. If not, I'll pony up the extra buck and get the Wyeast.

Any opinions on Omega's Hefeweizen yeast? Reportedly the same strain as Wyeast 3068, but with more cells (again, reportedly) and actually somehow a little cheaper than Wyeast at Ritebrew. If the reviews are good, I'll try it. If not, I'll pony up the extra buck and get the Wyeast.

Anyone got any info here? Brewed a Hefe yesterday and pitched this yeast and holy sh**, it took off like a m'fer!! Just curious if this yeast is typically this nuts? I pitched a 4L decanted starter at 66 degrees and fermenting now at 65. I pitched yesterday at around noon, saw bubbles starting at 9:45pm, and these pictures were taken at 10am today.

ferm1.jpg

ferm2.jpg

@Rob2010SS - How did your recipe work out with the Omega yeast? I've been brewing the "almost" same Hefeweizen recipe over and over for the last year or so, tweaking ingredients slightly to dial it in with my BIAB system. More recently, I'm just varying the yeast to see which one I like best. So far, Imperial G01 came out the most "authentic". You could almost picture the Bavarian countryside while sipping! Haven't tried OYL-021 yet, but it's was next on my list.

@Rob2010SS - How did your recipe work out with the Omega yeast? I've been brewing the "almost" same Hefeweizen recipe over and over for the last year or so, tweaking ingredients slightly to dial it in with my BIAB system. More recently, I'm just varying the yeast to see which one I like best. So far, Imperial G01 came out the most "authentic". You could almost picture the Bavarian countryside while sipping! Haven't tried OYL-021 yet, but it's was next on my list.
I liked it a lot! Full transparency - it was our first time making a Hefe and using any kind of yeast like that. We share our beers with a group of roughly 65 people. I will tell you that this beer was the most popular one we've done to date. But again, this was the only hefe we've ever done.

While I thought it was good, it did over attenuate a bit for me and left it a tad thin. For me, I would stick with the yeast on future iterations and just try different things and get to know the yeast a bit. I think it could be really great!

Back