Omega A20 Tropical slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in for the long haul but curious what others think. I'm brewing a wheat beer with a starting gravity of 1.060 and Omega A20 Tropical pitched at 75 degrees. Fermentation chamber set at 78 and activity after 24 hours. Fermentation was never wild and the cleanest fermentation I have ever seen in regards to the fine clean foam and amount of sediment. After 10 days I brought it out to 70 degree room thinking it had to be about done. Still a bubble every 2-3 seconds and gravity is at 1.020. So 13 days and still going? I just figured at 78 degrees this thing would be over in 5 days. Not sure what to think and new to Omega yeasts.

Hello, I'm in for the long haul but curious what others think. I'm brewing a wheat beer with a starting gravity of 1.060 and Omega A20 Tropical pitched at 75 degrees. Fermentation chamber set at 78 and activity after 24 hours. Fermentation was never wild and the cleanest fermentation I have ever seen in regards to the fine clean foam and amount of sediment. After 10 days I brought it out to 70 degree room thinking it had to be about done. Still a bubble every 2-3 seconds and gravity is at 1.020. So 13 days and still going? I just figured at 78 degrees this thing would be over in 5 days. Not sure what to think and new to Omega yeasts.
Mash temp??

You are referring to imperial A20 correct? What was the date of your pack, did you make a starter? Are you measuring fg with a hydrometer or refractometer?

You are referring to imperial A20 correct? What was the date of your pack, did you make a starter? Are you measuring fg with a hydrometer or refractometer?

No on the starter and hydrometer for the reading. (A refractometer is worthless with alcohol in it) My date was great, about a month old.

No on the starter and hydrometer for the reading. (A refractometer is worthless with alcohol in it) My date was great, about a month old.
Assuming its imperial organic your using...the range of attenuation for that yeast is 74-78%...right now your at 66% attentuation...or about 4-5 points of gravity assuming you ideally fell into to that attenuation range ...what else other than wheat did you use?...a starter is usually a must in my opinion so that could be an issue although unlikely..is your thermometer accurate??

That’s the reason why I asked about which instrument you used ( you’d be surprised how often that is the case).

I’m just as stund as you are. A20 is a work horse when I use it. Always attenuates quick especially when run warmer. Maybe it was just bad viability in the pack itself from the mfg

There is a HUGE difference in attenuation ability between Omega Tropical (OYL-200) and Imperial Citrus (A20).
So, as the title is nonsensical, which strain was actually pitched?

Cheers!

Assuming its imperial organic your using...the range of attenuation for that yeast is 74-78%...right now your at 66% attentuation...or about 4-5 points of gravity assuming you ideally fell into to that attenuation range ...what else other than wheat did you use?...a starter is usually a must in my opinion so that could be an issue although unlikely..is your thermometer accurate??

The yeast is OYL-200 with a date of Nov 29. I like starters too but Omega says 1.060 and under no need and I figured being up close to 80 this thing would take right off anyways. As of yesterday it was not just gassing, the airlock indicates active fermentation with a bubble every 2-3 seconds.

That’s the reason why I asked about which instrument you used ( you’d be surprised how often that is the case).

I’m just as stund as you are. A20 is a work horse when I use it. Always attenuates quick especially when run warmer. Maybe it was just bad viability in the pack itself from the mfg

Yes, and as much as I do this and research techniques I am blown away by how little I know about this "simple" hobby!

There is a HUGE difference in attenuation ability between Omega Tropical (OYL-200) and Imperial Citrus (A20).
So, as the title is nonsensical, which strain was actually pitched?

The yeast is OYL-200 and I'm really only confused on the amount of time it has been actively fermenting. Never real vigorous and just keeps chugging along, even up near 80 degrees. Attenuation as far as I understand is its ability and not its speed at which it does it.

Cheers!

The yeast is OYL-200 with a date of Nov 29. I like starters too but Omega says 1.060 and under no need and I figured being up close to 80 this thing would take right off anyways. As of yesterday it was not just gassing, the airlock indicates active fermentation with a bubble every 2-3 seconds.

Yes, and as much as I do this and research techniques I am blown away by how little I know about this "simple" hobby!
Gotcha. You did under pitch by almost .5 million cell/ml/*p

With a month old pack you’re looking at, so it def will take you longer to ferment
53B49781-C945-4377-8399-EC272733DA93.png

Gotcha. You did under pitch by almost .5 million cell/ml/*p

With a month old pack you’re looking at, so it def will take you longer to ferment
View attachment 663753

Well, starter from here on out then. Seems silly to spend all this time on water chemistry, fermentation temps, aeration and the list goes on, to skimp on doing a starter. I think the beer will turn out just fine but I might miss out on some of the flavor notes this strain will produce. Thanks!

Well, starter from here on out then. Seems silly to spend all this time on water chemistry, fermentation temps, aeration and the list goes on, to skimp on doing a starter. I think the beer will turn out just fine but I might miss out on some of the flavor notes this strain will produce. Thanks!
You’ll actually probably get more esters since you underpich, stresses the yeast more in growth and causes then to produce more esters. But at the same time, the stress can also cause them to create more acetaldehyde and vdk whcih are off flavors. As long as it’s able to clean it’s self up you’ll be fine! Keep us all posted

You’ll actually probably get more esters since you underpich, stresses the yeast more in growth and causes then to produce more esters. But at the same time, the stress can also cause them to create more acetaldehyde and vdk whcih are off flavors. As long as it’s able to clean it’s self up you’ll be fine! Keep us all posted
+1 to @Dgallos statement...that yeast actually has a higher apparent attenuation...82-90%..higher than the imperial...in my experience if your beyond day 10 and your not at final gravity you probably won't get to it...sometimes yeast are finacky...I just made a brown that didnt finish at my expected final gravity...and I made a starter and kept it in its ideal temp range...I'd start taking some hydro samples the next few days...if you get no change in your reading over the next couple days...I'd stick a fork in it and move on instead of waiting for something that probably wont happen...good luck!

you can always pitch few grams of us05 to finish and clean up. (Assuming temp is suitable)

OYL-200 is a diastaticus-positive strain, and vs something like A20, OYL-200 will likely ferment for quite a long time before it's done...

Cheers!
Good to know, not sure why I thought I used A20, I had to dig the bag out to see it.

+1 to @Dgallos statement...that yeast actually has a higher apparent attenuation...82-90%..higher than the imperial...in my experience if your beyond day 10 and your not at final gravity you probably won't get to it...sometimes yeast are finacky...I just made a brown that didnt finish at my expected final gravity...and I made a starter and kept it in its ideal temp range...I'd start taking some hydro samples the next few days...if you get no change in your reading over the next couple days...I'd stick a fork in it and move on instead of waiting for something that probably wont happen...good luck!

That advice generally holds true, but not for diastaticus expressing yeast (STA1). They can slowly chug away for a rather lengthy time.

Quick update, still slowly working and down to 1.010. I did wash the yeast when it was transferred to the secondary and pitched it into a sister beer that is doing the exact same thing even though pitched at a higher rate.

Latest posts

Back