Olfabrikken Porter clone recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
So, I've scoured the Internet trying to find a clone of this amazing porter, but cannot find one, so I decided to put one together myself.

From Olfabrikken:

Ølfabrikken Porter (7,5 %)
A dark and rich porter inspired by the Baltic porters traditionally made in Scandinavia. Roasted without being burned or bitter, with the flavor dominated by dried fruits and vinous notes. High amounts of residual sugars and a fruity aroma makes this beer the perfect companion for chocolate desserts, if served lightly chilled. Brewed on Maris Otter ale malt, British Brown Malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, two types of caramel malt and brown sugar.
Was in 2006 awarded Beer News of the Year (by Danish Beer Enthusiast) and Best Porter in the world (at Ratebeer.com)

So with the above info and what I know about Baltic Porters (fermented with lager yeasts) I've put together the following recipe

http://hopville.com/recipe/664984/baltic-porter-recipes/olfabrikken-porter-clone-2011-05-19-version

And pasted below for quick reference:

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
48% 7 12 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 37 3 ~
12% 2 0 Vienna Malt 36 3 ~
12% 2 0 Munich Malt 37 9 ~
6% 1 0 British Brown malt 32 55 ~
6% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 34 60 ~
5% 0 12 Brown Sugar, Dark 46 50 ~
4% 0 10 Chocolate Malt (US) 28 350 ~
3% 0 8 Belgian Special B 30 220 ~
3% 0 8 Roasted Barley 25 300 ~
16 2

hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.5 Goldings, East Kent leaf 5.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Goldings, East Kent leaf 5.0
boil 15 mins 0.75 Goldings, East Kent leaf 5.0

yeast
Wyeast Bavarian Lager (2206) info
lager yeast in liquid form with medium to high flocculation and 75% attenuation

misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 30 min 0.5 ounces Licorice Root
boil 15 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet

Would love to have some critique and help on this from those that have brewed baltic porters, or particularly those that have had the beer I'm trying to clone. It's an amazing, amazing porter and I'd love to get as close as possible.

Thanks!
julian

olfabrikken porter is one of my favorite beers of all time! I would love to hear how this turns out. I too am looking for a clone.

I haven't yet brewed this. Been sitting on it and thinking about it. I hear most Baltic Porters use a lager yeast but I haven't done any research yet into which yeast, what temps, for how long, etc.

It's definitely on my "to brew" list. Just haven't got around to it yet!

Most of commercial european baltic porters are fermented with W34 (WLP German Lager, Wyeast Bohemian Lager, dry Saflager W34/70).

I actually did brew this and it came out awesome. A few weeks/month in the keg conditioning and it became one of the best baltic porters (or porters in general) that I've ever had. Very chocolatey and viscous just the way I remember Olfrabrikken being. It's probably not an exact clone but I think it's close! I did a side by side with some other commercial baltic porters and this one was by far the best. The others were too thin, or too roasty. This one was right where I wanted it to be :)

Thanks for the update. I had an olfabrikken 7-8 years ago and I still think it's in my top 5 of all time!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back