Olde Gowanus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thwizzit

Reaction score
If you know anything about Brooklyn, you'll understand...
oglabelzp7.jpg

don't know anything about brooklyn, except my great grandfather built a house there that is still there.. and was a master stone worker, and has several statues around the city that he built..

other than that... niice label.. i like it alot, its simple.. like mine once was before i got addicted to changing it up.

Well, the Gowanus Canal once held the distinction of being the nastiest and arguable the most polluted body of water in the nation where fish couldn't even survive. Brooklynites could smell it for miles.

Last year a whale got lost and ended up in the Gowanus Canal which was the inspiration for the Whale Ale

Anyway, here are a couple of other variations
oglabelsxt9.jpg

Handsome labels. May I offer a personal-preference note? Kinda hate to, cuz you should name your beer what you want to name your beer. But here's my two cents:

I'm not a fan of "ewww" names. Moose Drool? (That's an "ewww" brew we have around here; don't know if it's national.) I just don't want any. Could be I'm just humorless. The design is good. I like the historical feel of it.

Handsome labels. May I offer a personal-preference note? Kinda hate to, cuz you should name your beer what you want to name your beer. But here's my two cents:

I'm not a fan of "ewww" names. Moose Drool? (That's an "ewww" brew we have around here; don't know if it's national.) I just don't want any. Could be I'm just humorless. The design is good. I like the historical feel of it.

Ahhh! But Moose Drool is one darn fine beer. I agree the name can turn you off of a beer sometimes, but I more look at the style of the beer, stout, pils, porter, IPA, more than the name that proceeds.

Kind of like Dead Guy. "Hey can I get a pint of Dead Guy?" Yeah sounds funny, but who cares, its good. :)

Oh and by the way, love the labels, really like the design and the black and white simplicity. Way to go, good job!

I know what you mean about the 'eeew' names (but I've always liked funny names like 'Olde Frothingslosh: the Beer with the Foam on the Bottom!") I probably won't even use the labels with the names on them and just use this one so it's not as apparent that it's a bit of a joke name.
ogbreweryte3.jpg

Most beers always talk about the water 'like Rocky Mountain Water' etc. and for as long as I can remember I always thought it would be funny to name a beer 'Olde Gowanus' because of the nature of the Gowanus Canal and now that I'm actually brewing some of my own beer I can do it. But to tell you the truth, I'm brewing so little beer right now that this is really just for fun. It takes so long between batches that i need to fill up the time thinking of brewery and beer names :)

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more by the time my first batch is ready to drink.

What font is that? I would not use it for any homebrew items, but I could use it in some freelancing work I do from time to time.

Ryan_PA said:
What font is that? I would not use it for any homebrew items, but I could use it in some freelancing work I do from time to time.

It's called 'Pieces of Eight' it's actually a Pirate kind of typeface. It's not exactly what I wanted but it had sort of the feel I was looking for and it was the closest one I had.

You can download it here
http://www.dafont.com/alpha.php?lettre=p&page=16

Thwizzit said:
Most beers always talk about the water 'like Rocky Mountain Water' etc. and for as long as I can remember I always thought it would be funny to name a beer 'Olde Gowanus' because of the nature of the Gowanus Canal and now that I'm actually brewing some of my own beer I can do it.

Yeah, that's why I was reluctant to say anything. Cuz you're right. This name has a lot of meaning to you, and probably to the people you'll pour a beer for. I amend my opinion: The label's great, and so are the names. :mug:

Back