Old Yeast pack any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I found a March 07' Wyeast pack (American Lager) in my beer
refrigerator.
I was curious if it would still be any good, plus I'm getting ready to
do a couple more lagers.

I was making a started for another brew this weekend so boiled up a
couple extra quarts.( I also add yeast nutrient to my started)

I added 2 qt's ( in a gallon bottle) to the old yeast pack and it
took 36 hours till I saw any activity at all, and now after 2 days it
seems to be very active when I shake it.

My question is can I plan on this being a good yeast or for the $6
should I not take the chance.

I was thing of cooling it and decanter off most of the liquid then
adding another 2 qt's and getting it bigger before I try it in my next
larer batch.

Anyone else have any luck with old yeast?

I have used Wyeast packs that were nearly a year old, and they ended up being fine. They just need a little extra TLC to build them back up again. A well-oxygenated starter with some yeast nutrients is a must.

I made a Dortmunder export with a pack of 15 month old Wyeast Danish lager yeast back in the fall. After I smacked it, it took 5 days to swell and I made a half gallon starter. The beer it made was great ... yeast love us. They are our friends. Treat them well.

If it's active now, that means the yeast have reproduced, and you should be ok. I'd use it.

By the way- I haven't seen you here on HBT on a long time! Welcome back. :mug:

Thanks but I haven't gone too far. I usually check the new post every day or two.
I've learned a great deal from your members and I usually don't post many replies because there are so many experts that have beat me to it. In the 13 months I've been brewing... I've gone from extract to all grain after the 4th. batch... kegging last summer... building a refrigerated fermenter cooler, refrigerated lager cooler, counter pressure bottle filler, converted 3 kegs for HLT and boiling kettle.. built MLT and helped several others do the same.
I learned most of this or found links to it from your members.

And to think 13 months ago all I could do is drink beer..

Don

Don said:
And to think 13 months ago all I could do is drink beer..
Don

+1 to that, great feeling isn't it? This time last year I thought Shiner Bock and Paulner Heff were the best beers ever...

Back