Old yeast, making a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
So I bought some white labs yeast (best used by February 14 2014) I put in it mrmalty calc. And it seems I have low viability. I made a 1 liter starter, well I started one. I'm brewing on Monday. Should I step up this starter? It seems like my yeast count will be low. I've never stepped up a starter. From what I read I use a lower amount on the second part if the starter. This kind of confuses me. http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/YeastPitchingRates.pdf. How much do I use for the step up to get the right cell count? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390115849.830114.jpg. You get what I'm saying? Help

I think we probably shop at the same store for old yeast. I asked the same type of question last month. I did end up doing a step and it worked out great. That was the first time I worked with old yeast. I was worried during the first step because the colour was darker and no bubbles. But after the day in the fridge and adding the second step, the starter got going - everything looked normal (nice colour & bubbles) and once added to the wort it took off like it should. Mine was lager yeast and fermentation is complete and am lagering now but everything tasted and smells great.

I like yeastcalc as well for multiple steps. It says you will be coming up a little short with your 1L starter (146 billion cells & 170 billion needed). It says even if you did a small .5 liter second step you will be over 200 bil. I would assume it is better to be slightly over than under with the pitching count.

I also like the YeastCalc site for rates, etc.. Just wondering though, shouldn't the date on Mr. Malty be 2-14-14? I noticed you have Use Date checked. That would make a huge difference. Maybe i'm looking at it wrong. Good luck!

I think we probably shop at the same store for old yeast. I asked the same type of question last month. I did end up doing a step and it worked out great. That was the first time I worked with old yeast. I was worried during the first step because the colour was darker and no bubbles. But after the day in the fridge and adding the second step, the starter got going - everything looked normal (nice colour & bubbles) and once added to the wort it took off like it should. Mine was lager yeast and fermentation is complete and am lagering now but everything tasted and smells great.

I like yeastcalc as well for multiple steps. It says you will be coming up a little short with your 1L starter (146 billion cells & 170 billion needed). It says even if you did a small .5 liter second step you will be over 200 bil. I would assume it is better to be slightly over than under with the pitching count.

So I do a .5 liter? Just make another starter but only 50 grams and a .5 liter?

I also like the YeastCalc site for rates, etc.. Just wondering though, shouldn't the date on Mr. Malty be 2-14-14? I noticed you have Use Date checked. That would make a huge difference. Maybe i'm looking at it wrong. Good luck!

I read that white labs put the "best used by" date on the yeast bottles. So you have to go back 4 months to get the production date of the yeast to get an accurate viability. So the date should be right

Oh, use date huh? Sorry I read that again. Umm maybe your right....I dunno...fudge

Yeah, pretty certain you should have used the "best by" date on that one. Yeastcalc.com has a 44% viability & you'll have 146 bil. As stated earlier, you could cold crash overnight & decant liquid tomorrow, then add a .5 liter of boiled/cooled wort and put it back on the stirplate. After you repeat the whole process, your into wed. or thurs. at best. I'd just use what you have & pick up another vial to add when pitching.

He did it right. White labs = 4 months before the best by date. Wyeast = the date on the bag. All these numbers are estimates at best. Honestly, I don't think I would bother with the second step, I'd just pitch the whole dang thing.

Either way my viability is a little low. I'm probably gonna step up the starter.

Back