Old Twiggy - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrix

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a recipe I'm planning for the weekend to see what folks think. After trying a Yerba Mate beer a couple months back, I wanted to brew something that would showcase the earthy flavor of kukicha (twig) tea. (Wikipedia it.) That, along with my curiosity about hops-less beers (I'm drinking my sage-barleywine as I type this) led me to the following recipe, patterned after a reddish mild ale. Comments?

Old Twiggy (5 gallons)

Mash @ 150 F for 60 minutes:
- 5 lbs pale malt
- 1 lb crystal malt (10 deg L)
- 3 oz chocolate malt
- 4 oz rye malt
- (1.5 lb cane sugar in kettle)

For boil:
- 1 oz dried sage (60 min)
- 0.5 oz roasted dandelion root (30 min)
- 32 oz brewed kukicha tea (secondary or at bottling)

Finings (maybe...haven't used before)
- 3 oz isinglass per 5 gallons

My biggest concern is whether 1/2 oz of roasted dandelion root is going to overwhelm the nutty/earthy tea flavor, but I think I want it for the bitterness. I suspect this will be tasty even if it doesn't truly *showcase* the tea...

Well, you've certainly stumped me on that dandelion root question, but you've intrigued me with the recipe. Please do update us on how this turns out!

TL

Better late than never? The dandelion was not too much, though the sage was. For such an earthy-flavored beer, the sage contributed too much 'bright' herbal flavor. I really enjoyed the flavor of the tea in this beer.

Back