Old School Budvar????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMann

Reaction score
My father-in-law, is an old school brewer. At least he has not brewed in about 10-15 years, and my wife said that he never brewed anything that was good. He comes over all the time and tries my beers, and loves them. But everytime he keeps asking me to make him some "budvar" Finally this time, I tell him I can't make it, cause I don't have a lagering fridge, hoping this would shut him up, only for him to respond "no you don't need lager yeast, you need champagne yeast" I am thinking of brewing something up for him like he wants, which I have no idea what this would be, but does anyone have a easy all grain "budvar recipe" that would go good with champagne yeast, so I can keep him off my back?

--matt--

Don't use champagne yeast. I cringe to imagine the dry nastiness that would result. If you want to make an "old school Budvar," you need to use lager yeast, preferably a Czech strain.

was in to my lbhs store 2 weeks ago and they have wyeast buvar smack packs. see wyeast description on the yeast, appears to be a lager.

YEAST STRAIN: 2000 | Budvar Lager™
Back to Yeast Strain List

Nice malty nose, subtle fruit. Rich malt profile on palate. Finishes malty but dry, well balanced, crisp. Hop character comes through in finish.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 48-56F, 9-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

I have been making ales and lagers for years in a freezer and once you do you will wonder why you kept from buying a freezer. Any brew you make will be cleaner and way more consistant. You can find new chest freezers for under $150.00. I use a Ranco controller and love them as they can hold temperature exactly what you set them at. Quit fighting it.

Champagne yeast will not make good beer.

Back