Old, old, kit... is it still ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighDesertSwiller

Reaction score
Hi ya'll

I got a kit a while back (couple of years +?) and never got around to making it... It was refrigerated for about a year and then had maybe a year plus just laying around.

There is 6lbs of Gold extract in a milk jug
1lb Briess dried malt extract
1.25 lbs of grains
1oz fuggles hops
1/1 oz challenger hops

Everything seems to be well sealed. I bet the yeast is toast but what about the rest? Should I freshen up with some new hops and yeast and go for it?

What was this kit from the items listed?

Thanks!

If you are talking 2+ years or more, I would say that the DME, grains and hops are all well past their expiration. Unless vacuum sealed and kept frozen, the shelf life is well over. I would also question the extract. IMO you should start with new ingredients.

You have it why not brew brew it and see what happens.. not like your out anything. Just get new hops and yeast and go for it.

So many beers... so little time.

I've done a couple of these as I am some times VERY CHEAP and don't want to throw anything away.

More than likely it will make bad tasting beer, BUT, it will almost guaranteed be beer!

(I have 2 - 1year old Mr. Beers that I did recently that "are beer" but taste pretty darn bad! Drinkable, but bad!)

Thanks for the replies! I decided to keep the dry malt and the priming sugar. Sadly, the rest went in the trash. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back