OLD music made awesome again on TV and in Movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Mordecai and Rigby are making even some crappy old tunes like "Footloose" awesome again on Regular Show.

Megamind is making better use of old ACDC than the first IRON MAN movie did, with some classic G&R sprinkled in.

(That said, now I can't help but go on a healthy bent about how AWESOME AC/DC is. HOLY EFFING ****!!! Is there better movie music????)

And while we are at it, Avengers and Iron Man are making healthy use of some awesome old music.

Spongebob, at the end of the movie, and at several points throughout the seasons have revived old Twisted Sister and some other old pieces of crap and made them AWESOME again...(ROCK!)

(That said, now I can't help but go on a healthy bent about how AWESOME AC/DC is. HOLY EFFING ****!!! Is there better movie music????)

THEE only good thing about the movie Maximum Overdrive was all of the AC/DC on the soundtrack. Same could be said for Last Action Hero; which, in case you didn't know - Big Gun was never played live in concert...

Kenny Loggins is not old. AC/DC is not old.

If you want good old music, any soundtrack Woody Allen ever made.

Not old, but great, any Ennio Morrecone (especially "Burn!"), any Philip Glass (especially "Mishima").

Oh, you want kind of old recycled in a bad movie, then, "Under the Boardwalk."

Howzabout movie specific new covers of not old, then "Sucker Punch."

But if you must have AC/DC done the best, then "Bridesmaids."

You guys might call it weird but I miss the instrumental soundtracks, where the music told the emotion. As long as its not poppy crap Its ok by me.

You guys might call it weird but I miss the instrumental soundtracks, where the music told the emotion. As long as its not poppy crap Its ok by me.

NO! I am right there with you. Orchestral soundtracks are some of the very best, but a well placed "Thunderstruck" brings 2 awesome things together with a hint of nostalgia and something new entirely merged (hopefully) into something new and beautiful. It is not better, but different.

I don't think that's weird at all. I think a lot of movies and shows use licensed music to get by on the recognition factor by people that are already fans of the bands (plus it gives them a nice "check out our soundtrack playlist on iTunes" social media angle that everyone has to have these days). That or they just don't feel like going through the trouble of having someone come up an instrumental score when they can just borrow someone else's music.

Back