Old liquid yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all

Question i have a pack of Wyest that i didn't get around to using. My next couple of brews are using a different yeast. Its at 27% viable atm. I have been using the method of making a bigger starter than needed and storing the extra for future use. I only do this when i make a batch of beer that requires a starter.

My question is should i make a starter out of this yeast just to build it up and store ? Or should i just hold out until i brew a batch that calls for this style of yeast and go from there ?

I would say it depends on how soon you plan to brew using that type of yeast. If soon, I'd wait and make a starter when you plan on using it, if longer, get it ready for storage.

If it was MrMalty that gave it a viability of 27%, wait until you are ready to brew. The yeasts packaging is more sanitary than a starter in a jar in the frig.
If it was 27% by YeastCalc, make the starter and plan to brew within two months.

I don't know how accurate those viability calculators are. I just brewed a saison with a 5 month old pack of wyeast 3711 and after making a normal size (1L) starter it chewed through the beer 1.053 - 1.004 in ten days.

Back