Old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMessenger

Reaction score
would you use pellet hops that are 3-5 years old? They're nitrogen flushed packages and have been stored in my freezer. Should I just compost them?

Open them and smell them. If they smell good, use them. If they smell OK but kinda dull, use them for bittering, but maybe like 50% more than youd use for fresh. Only toss them if they smell rotted

Some styles prefer to use old less potent hops. If you ever want to brew a Lambic, those would be perfect.

If you look around the net you can find hop age calculators, but for no more than they cost Id toss them. Even packaged correctly they loose their bittering over time. And if you add more to make up for it, you'll end up getting a grassy flavored beer. Been there done that.

I read a bunch of the studies referenced in the development of the formulas (bitterness reduction formulas), and I think the storage conditions used in the studies were more appropriate to commercial brewers. (i.e. room temp storage, hops stored for months, rather than years, for the most part, etc). I have the impression these storage conditions (freezer, nitrogen purged, pellet hops, years in storage <rather than months in storage>) are quite a bit different than the conditions in the studies, and therefore are beyond the scope of the formulas. I am sure bittering value changes over time, but not to the extent predicted by some calculators.

I have used several year old pellets for brewing for 5 years or better (have bulk hop pellets 8 years old or so) and haven't noticed appreciable lack of bitterness. However, these are light cream ales and lagers for the most part. A DIPA might be more noticeable in the bitterness department. I think the bigger difference is in the degradation of the aromatics over time.

I saw on this forum about a IBU test for reasonable money. I might have to brew up an experiment or two, just out of curiosity.

I read a bunch of the studies referenced in the development of the formulas (bitterness reduction formulas), and I think the storage conditions used in the studies were more appropriate to commercial brewers. (i.e. room temp storage, hops stored for months, rather than years, for the most part, etc). I have the impression these storage conditions (freezer, nitrogen purged, pellet hops, years in storage <rather than months in storage>) are quite a bit different than the conditions in the studies, and therefore are beyond the scope of the formulas. I am sure bittering value changes over time, but not to the extent predicted by some calculators.

I have used several year old pellets for brewing for 5 years or better (have bulk hop pellets 8 years old or so) and haven't noticed appreciable lack of bitterness. However, these are light cream ales and lagers for the most part. A DIPA might be more noticeable in the bitterness department. I think the bigger difference is in the degradation of the aromatics over time.

I saw on this forum about a IBU test for reasonable money. I might have to brew up an experiment or two, just out of curiosity.

Thanks! I might use some old hops @60 min for a porter and use some fresh (fresher) hops for the other additions.

I have leaf hops that are 3 years old kept in freezer (citra). No real depreciation. The bag doesn't even quite seal, so I just fold it over and clamp it.

If they are still in their original package and stored in the freezer, I wouldn't worry about it. maybe knock 10% off the AAs.

There are sites still selling 2011 hops (Nikobrew is one I noted).

If opened, I would recommend using a aging calculator for AAs. For aroma, and flavor, I'd just double the addition ........ after all, for hoppy beers, you wouldn't complain about too much flavor!

Thanks! I might use some old hops @60 min for a porter and use some fresh (fresher) hops for the other additions.

That sounds like a good plan to me-if a porter is slightly under-bitter, it should still be OK,

Back