Old hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
I have been using for my last 2 batches some old hops that have been vacuum packed and stored in a fridge in a chill chest. I'd guess there about 3 years old. At what point is to old? and will they add a super unpalatable taste to the beer?

Vacuum packed and frozen is good. I would be surprised if they added anything unpalatable, but they might not offer as strong bittering, flavor and aroma additions as fresher hops. One solution is to use more of the older hops than you would with younger hops.

I just used some I bought in 2002.. gave up brewing until now. I used the package of Cascade as a dry hop.. Used too much.. but, boy were they good. I'm not sure I'll use Cascade as a dry hop again..

But, the pellets remained green ish and smelled great.

As long as they still smell like hops and not cheese or mold you should be ok. I've got some 3 year old hops that don't get any use because I've switched to bittering with hop extract, but they still smell fine.

Back