Old Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
About to restart my home brewing, been a long while! Too many other issues, I had to stop for a while.

Anyway, my question pertains to my hops, i have a couple pounds of whole hops, 08 growing season. they have been in a dark freezer since I bought them. are they ok to use? How would I calculate the lost aa ?

Any help appreciated. next weekend is a brew day, if I must buy new hops, I will, but these varieties are not available @ more beer....

Different hops have different stability indices. To calculate AA loss, you need to know the age, HSI, and initial AA% of each type of hops. Beersmith has a function that does that for you. Don't know of a calculator that would do that online, but if you want to tell me what hops you have I can crunch the numbers for you.

To make a sour beer that I have planned I purposely have a few ounces of hops laying around in open air at room temperature, it will take a couple of years for them to age and get the AA value down to zero.

forgot about beersmith, woops! ill put my recipe in and decide weather to use or now... too bad i didnt vacuum seal them... i have one too, no excuse!

Back