Old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmett

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a low price and just agreed to buy a bunch of Simco hops that are 3 years old and have been sealed but sitting unrefrigerated. Anyone work with questionable hops before? I haven't opened them yet, I've read that they'll probably have some cheesy odors. I'm not sure what to do with them, I think I can still use them for bittering right?

Depending upon the conditions of storage, I'd say most to all of the alpha acids are oxidized and of no use for bittering (yes, even with a high AA hop like Simcoe). Funny odors should dissipate with a long boil.

Since you're asking this, I'm assuming you don't get into wild brews much. I think this is the world's way of telling you it's time to start brewing some lambics! I hope you're the patient type.:p

should have a little about 1 percent alpha acid left with not a lot of hop aroma (maybe cheese)
In my opinion you are probably best to throw them away.

emmet; newbie here, in fact this is my first post, but i'm taking a shot at a "lambic" (as close as i can get with my limited capacity and lack of proper geography) in the next month. if you're looking to offload (sell) up to 4 oz, i'll be happy to take some off your hands.

first thing i'm gonna do is open them and let them get nasty. :)

Sorry I can't help you. They are now compost, it was gut wrenching throwing away 10 lbs of hops, but they smelled terrible.

Latest posts

Back