old hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
SWMBO says I should start up some old hobbies again to deal with my stress. She asks what my old hobbies were. I tell her comic books and more video games. She frowns and says I should buy a new chiller so I can brew again. Whatever you say, dear! :mug:

todd_k said:
SWMBO says I should start up some old hobbies again to deal with my stress. She asks what my old hobbies were. I tell her comic books and more video games. She frowns and says I should buy a new chiller so I can brew again. Whatever you say, dear! :mug:

Video games, shooting, fishing, wood carving, working on my jeep and a few more that involve spending money on things I don't need and getting yelled at by SWMBO. Good luck!

Oh, wow. My old hobbies aren't nearly as good as I'd like them to have been, if I can get "brewing" as a tame one!

I guess I can talk about going SCUBA diving in Bonaire, and see if when I get "that look" I can just suggest 50 pounds of two-row instead. That might be a winner.

Yooper said:
Oh, wow. My old hobbies aren't nearly as good as I'd like them to have been, if I can get "brewing" as a tame one!

I guess I can talk about going SCUBA diving in Bonaire, and see if when I get "that look" I can just suggest 50 pounds of two-row instead. That might be a winner.

Lucky you, I've wanted to scuba dive for years now, sky diving was super fun also but too expensive for me now ha. Do you grow your 2 row?

Nicely played Todd!

I don't have too many 'old' hobbies except for one I guess. When I was a kid I used to build and launch model rockets. I had a vacant field behind my house and could just do it whenever. It was a lot of fun. Now that I have a son I was thinking he would get a kick out of it and I'd get to play with them again too.

My old hobbies were drinking with the boys and chasing women.
Since becoming divorced I've tried taking that up again.
With a seven year old daughter, I get more chances at drinking with the guys than chasing women.
Since it's over 20 years since I used to do this, the single attractive women are harder to find too.

Shooting, reloading, cars, archery and muzzle loaders are fun though. I'm more into antique guns than before now.

Lets see here. When I was younger I played hockey for some local teams here in my town. I played paintball on a national semi-pro team. I enjoy working on my car. Camping in the woods, and hanging with the guys.

Anything to do with models.. no, not chicks eventhough they were constantly in my dreams but putting things together.. that led to rockets and R/C everything.. still have my planes, cars and a boat (swamp buggy).. I wanted to get a helicopter when they were becoming popular but they were not cheap and girls definitely became priority..

Building an experimental airplane, flying, semi-professional chess, girls to do the dishes, motorcycling... no wait, that's transportation for me, not a hobby. Spreadsheet calculations for ridiculous things, girls to clean up my room, photography, guitars and recording, autocross, girls to do the laundry, and going to school. I love learning new stuff.

I used to be pretty big into computer programming, 3D modelling, anything to do with game development really. Never got very good at any of them, so now I make beer. I also did SCUBA for a while when I was in Hawaii, but now that I am in Connecticut there's not much opportunity to go diving.

I have a host of RC planes and one very expensive RC helicopter collecting dust in the corner of the brew cave...

Playing guitar. I used to be really good at that. Gave it up and would love to get back into it. However, playing by yourself is no fun and I have no time to join a band.

I still play guitar a bit. As a hobby.

Did some Rockets. Made a mobile launcher from a magnetic CB antenna with a plastic plate mounted at the base to accept the burn. We'd stick on the car and launch using the car battery... I should get back into that again. Something the kid can build with me. Need to see about building a vacuum mixing chamber so I can make my own engines. D size is too small...

Still have all of my SCUBA gear. I own everything except the tank. I've only dived in local lakes and Lake Michigan a couple of times. Need to find a more tropical location for a change. And sadly I'm guessing my wetsuit doesn't fit.

Brewing is probably one of the more expensive hobbies for me right now since I'm building an EHERMS rig. Next to the 69 Mustang project waiting for me to rediscover it in the garage.

Old hobbies....hmmmmm

SCUBA diving. Wife says its too dangerous and I really don't get the opportunity to go anymore. So all my equipment is just collecting dust, and a few things probably don't fit anymore.

Playing drums. Too loud for my wife and the drum set takes up a lot of room now that we have a kid. So it's just collecting dust at my parents' house.

Video games. I'm no longer 13 so...yeah. But I see a comeback when my daughter gets a little older.
For now my current hobbies are hunting, fishing and brewing.

I'm into the rocket scene also....As for D size being too small, these days you can buy much larger than that. My club launches M and L powered birds on a regular basis. Of course, you need certification and a properly sized launch site for those.

I've got a stash of unbuilt kits I was looking at just the other day. Guess if I don't have time to get to the brew shop between now and then, I'll probably take one of the kits out this weekend.

I dont really have old hobbies,

I play the bagpipes - even got to play for Obama at the White House two years ago and I'm a member of the St. Louis Caledonian Pipe band in St. Louis MO.

Study natural horsemanship (my horse thanks me for that) I like using Chris Cox's methods

Running (SWMBO is a marathon runner) but I weigh 230 pounds so this is hard for me and there arent many 230 pound marathoners like there aren't many 230 pound rock climbers, they're all dead! Tried to tell the wife this but she just rolls her eyes

Olympic Weightlifting and Crossfit - working to get my muscle ups better to where I can actually do more than two in a row and I'd like to eventually compete at a Crossfit games

Used to love sportbikes but I'd rather spend the money on more stuff for brewing -- and once you get a sportbike out for a track day, you'll never want to ride on the street again, just isn't the same

I like video games but I'll sit there in front of the TV for 9 hours and not even know it playing the dang things. The latest one was Dragon's Dogma... that game is addictive

I really miss riding motocross, only quit because I broke both my legs and medical bills were expensive so I sold the bike.

I used to mountain bike all the time but my friends that were into it moved away, sucks riding by yourself.

I've always been a tinkerer and continue that to this day, picked up an old Honda last week that I'm building into a cafe racer.

I grew up playing ice hockey and miss the competition, I was at AA/AAA level from ages 10-16 and traveled all over the US and Canada to play. Wasn't a hobby as much as it was life, it consumed my whole family's time and finances. I quit when I was 16 and regret that decision everyday. I was in a men's league but the mx accident has prevented me from playing the last couple years, I'll skate again once my legs work better.

Brewing is a hobby I'll have til the day I die.

That's something I forgot, I like to tinker / try to build with things, I used to play piano and guitar as a kid but gave them up and I really regret it, I'm trying to teach myself how to play piano, guitar and violin. Rock climbing is super fun, I've attempted to make a long bow from Home Depot wood and it cracked so that made me sad, I want to try again sometime soon.

Now Cooper, I still rock climb and I'm bigger than you (about 265) you just have to tie a swiss seat, they don't make harnesses with 22 inch leg loops! You also have to use your legs a lot more than your upper body.

To be honest I can't afford any of my old hobbies any more after brewing, either in money or time!

My hat is off to you sir for the rock climbing! I've wanted to give that a shot but I'm not in an area where folks do that sort of thing. I think they have a bouldering facility in St. Louis but I'm not sure.

I dont really have old hobbies,

I play the bagpipes - even got to play for Obama at the White House two years ago and I'm a member of the St. Louis Caledonian Pipe band in St. Louis MO.

Study natural horsemanship (my horse thanks me for that) I like using Chris Cox's methods

Running (SWMBO is a marathon runner) but I weigh 230 pounds so this is hard for me and there arent many 230 pound marathoners like there aren't many 230 pound rock climbers, they're all dead! Tried to tell the wife this but she just rolls her eyes

Olympic Weightlifting and Crossfit - working to get my muscle ups better to where I can actually do more than two in a row and I'd like to eventually compete at a Crossfit games

Used to love sportbikes but I'd rather spend the money on more stuff for brewing -- and once you get a sportbike out for a track day, you'll never want to ride on the street again, just isn't the same

I like video games but I'll sit there in front of the TV for 9 hours and not even know it playing the dang things. The latest one was Dragon's Dogma... that game is addictive

Cooper, I personally know the VP of Education for the Garage Games. Let me know if you need/want any info about them. As I understand it, a lot of competitors for the CF Games use the Garage Games for preparation. I had to let CF go a while back but I'll occasionally get a sub10 workout in a couple times a week. Mostly "Death By.." and "Tabatas".

This is another weird hobby of mine. Numbers! I like equations and spreadsheets, and I recently began trying to pick NFL games again at the behest of a friend. Well, I have been tweaking my old system every week. Then a couple days ago, I had a Eureka! moment. I spotted where my system was missing. I refinagled my system a bit.

I have got it to where for the last 3 weeks I would have had a 19 and 4 record and am feeling confident enough to place a few small test bets next week. Even prior to the adjustments, I was sitting in the upper 60 or lower 70% range.

So I guess trying to beat the spread is a new/old hobby for me. That and brewing? Talk about signs of an addictive personality! But hey, at least I am quitting smoking.

This is another weird hobby of mine. Numbers! I like equations and spreadsheets, and I recently began trying to pick NFL games again at the behest of a friend. Well, I have been tweaking my old system every week. Then a couple days ago, I had a Eureka! moment. I spotted where my system was missing. I refinagled my system a bit.

I have got it to where for the last 3 weeks I would have had a 19 and 4 record and am feeling confident enough to place a few small test bets next week. Even prior to the adjustments, I was sitting in the upper 60 or lower 70% range.

So I guess trying to beat the spread is a new/old hobby for me. That and brewing? Talk about signs of an addictive personality! But hey, at least I am quitting smoking.

Good luck on staying smoke free. I made it 3 weeks before I caved in and relapsed. I fear that Big Tobacco has me by the short and curlies for the rest of my pathetic life. I could probably quit more successfully if SWMBO would be more willing to quit with me. Going on Chantix was by far the worst move I have ever made in my life though. I was one of the patients you hear about who had the vivid dreams and had bouts of psychosis. BUT to the manufacturer's credit, it really did help with smoking cessation. Made them taste like raw chemicals.

I'm down with numbers, too. I'm not sure if this could be considered a hobby, but I count everything. Any time I am doing something repetitive, like walking or brushing my teeth, I'm counting the number of steps or brushes. Usually it starts out subconsciously and then I'll realize I've been counting for a while.

I've also recently been learning calculus just for the hell of it. It seems like it could come in handy one day, especially if I decide to go back to college.

nukebrewer said:
I'm down with numbers, too. I'm not sure if this could be considered a hobby, but I count everything. Any time I am doing something repetitive, like walking or brushing my teeth, I'm counting the number of steps or brushes. Usually it starts out subconsciously and then I'll realize I've been counting for a while.

I've also recently been learning calculus just for the hell of it. It seems like it could come in handy one day, especially if I decide to go back to college.

I hate all forms of math, and I find myself Counting everything. Stairs up, down, counting lines of signs at stop lights ect. I think my wife thinks I'm crazy! :x

might as well toss my hat in here. I have had lots of hobbies, but the only one that ever stuck was competitive handgun shooting. price got too high for ammo and gas to matches so i started brewing. i am not sure if riding my motorcycle is a hobby, it is a get away for the wife and i, but also basic transportation in the current economy.

Disc Golf, and Spinning Records. Home Brewing really fit nicely into the mix of life for me. I still do all three as much as possible, honestly.

I also like to have a nice aquarium around the pad..

Fishing is one hobby I lost touch with,work ,wife,kids,life and have just started getting back to over the last couple of months and it is great.
The best thing is the kids that I was taking to sport,parties and everywhere else now drive,so I say remember all the times I took you places it is your turn now and get them to drive me to the river so I can sit there fish & drink homebrew.
Love it!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't consider counting to be a hobby really... but learning about numbers? Calculus? Stuff like that? Definitely!!!! It's addictive. It's fascinating. It's really a basic building block of reality and understanding the universe that surrounds us.

Other things I've done with numbers include: working at the IRS, designing much of an airplane (on paper), taking accounting classes for fun. It becomes a hobby once you give up worrying about what people think and say f*** it! I like this stuff! A gf walks in, sees a 3-figure drawing of an airplane and says, "Oh, my son could draw something like that." and you think to yourself, "Oh, you have no idea how many hours of calculations went into that. I have a binder full of them!"

And the funny thing is, I'm not really all that OCD to be honest. I'm actually not a very neat or orderly person at all. I'm a "scattered thinker" who's struggled enough in school to have been forced to learn some amount of order just to get through... so now I use that when necessary. I use order to make sense of all my crazy numbers. My football spreadsheet has literally thousands of cells to it. But if anyone else looked at it, it'd be a jumbled mess. But it has enough order in it for me to make it work for me. As contrasted to my "natural state", I'm actually surprisingly capable of keeping things orderly... I just don't often see the point. ;)

But numbers-stuff are things I keep coming back to. When I was in law school, I strangely gravitated towards Tax Law after studying aircraft maintenance for 4 years. When I was a kid, I was crazy about keeping track of baseball cards by their numbers. I would calculate percentages. And as I said, this wasn't my first crack at a football betting system. I did it many years ago. I also worked out and tested Blackjack systems before deciding that even the best of them wasn't enough of a sure thing for my liking... yeah. I'm not a fan of gambling really. Oh, and of course the stock market. Back when I had a good job and some investments, I was doing very well for myself. But, alas, no spare money these days. Can't even afford to get my car fixed. Ah well. Maybe this NFL betting thing will pan out. lol

Old hobbies are Paintball for the most part, with softball and golf alternating between current and old hobbies. Also like video games, but my xbox took a dump and I don't want to spend the $ to fix it.

Current hobbies are brewing, running, Softball or golf, and tailgating :)

Back