Quantcast

Old guy returns to brewing?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bobup

Reaction score
Ok folks. I have not brewed since my 26 yr old son was maybe 2. I was digging through my old software and found my 3 1/2 floppy for Brewer's Calculator by Regen Software.
Over the years I have burned up a few PCs and the latest one has Windows 10 on it. I have tried loading/running the Brewer's Calc. and it won't run under this version. I have also tried finding it online and it is apparently no longer made or supported. So what is, I know this is a very subjective question, what is the average person using for brewing software these days? And I guess I have lost my favorite recipes as well......guess i'll have a homebrew

3 Dawg Night

Brewing to "save money."
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome back! There are a lot of options out there. The two main ones are BeerSmith and Brewer's Friend. BeerSmith is a program that you download to your computer, whereas Brewer's Friend is web-based. Both have trial periods, so I recommend you play around with both of them for a few days and see which you like better.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
R.I.P. ProMash

i use beersmith now, but i'm not an avg brewer. i bought it because i liked the fact it had costs included.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
BrewCipher is free forever.

Holden Caulfield

Reaction score
Built my own based on Excel. Through an iterative process it has been thoroughly tested and aligns very well with how homebrewer's build recipes and their systems. Special features include:

• It's free, with quick and easy tech support :)
  • Calculates pounds of grain based on a target gravity, mash efficiencies and the grain's % of total pounds
  • Scaling recipes is very easy due to the above - just change the batch size
  • Calculates all the water quantities based on your system losses
  • It even accounts for the volume changes to kettles and fermenters when adding sugar and syrups to these vessels. In fact, it accounts for these changes when calculating sugar and syrup point losses and factors these changes into the pounds needed to hit your OG. This is very helpful if you make Belgian beers and add your sugars to the fermenter to ensure high attenuation.
  • Provides preboil gravities and chilled post boil gravities even if adding sugars to the fermenter
  • Builds step and decoctions mash schedules and volumes - allows for doing both step and decoctions within a single mash schedule
  • About the only thing it does not do is PH - I leave that to the pros at Brun Water, MMM, etc.
Give it try and if you have any questions, just post them. I will answer.

Nokie

Reaction score
I use brewers friend. The online version is nice and there’s also an app that’s handy.
I can update my brew day in real time instead of jotting down notes and waiting to get to my laptop

mashpaddled

Reaction score
You could try running the software in compatability mode. Right click the exe or icon, go to compatability and change from Windows 10 to Windows 7. In older versions you could go back further in time but they've taken away those options in Win10.

But unless you're trying to fish through your old recipes you'll probably find the newer software more accurate and inclusive of modern ingredients.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Sponsor HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewer's Friend is (pretty sure) owned by the folks that own Homebrewtalk. Its differentiator is that it starts to add your brews to a social platform. You'll also see some of the same folks on their forum.

Brewfather's app is probably the more developed of the "online/app" choices.

BeerSmith is probably the most technically capable. There's a lot of "click and use" profiles but gives you the control to really dial things in.

I use all three actually.