Old Glass Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I purchased some old used glass carboys. I have them soaking in oxiclean but can't seem to remove some smudges from inside the glass. No matter I much I scrub with the brush. Do you think these are OK to use?

Hard to say without knowing what the gunk is. Let 'em sit for 24+ hours in a hot oxy-clean soak. If that doesn't clear 'em out, it's not likely anything will. I would personally be concerned just *what* could withstand a 24 hour oxy soak!

Also might try a brush on a drill, if the spots are accessible with a straight brush. You could try a more abrasive brush, but that could be counterproductive by creating scratches, or worse, weaken/break the carboy.

You can get a Carboy Cleaner, I have the one that goes on the end of a drill, works like a charm.

Oxiclean didn't do it but vinegar seems to be doing the trick. I will keep the CLR in mind if the vinegar doesn't get it all. Thanks!

When the carboy dried, I can still see it. When it was applied with vinegar (not dry) it goes away. The vinegar did help but didn't remove it all. I am going to try bleach next since I have some. If the bleach doesn't work, I will get some CLR.

Did you use hot water with the oxyclean? I'd say the bleach is a waste of time at this point.

Where are these marks?

Could it be hard water deposits, or beerstone.

CLR would be the thing to try.

Does it look hazy, like chemical etching? You said they were old carboys, do you know what was in them before? If they were used in a lab, handling chemicals potent enough to etch the glass, you might not want to use them for brewing.

If you've done all of that to them at this point, do you really think whatever the stain is will leech into your beer? I would rinse it well, fill it to that point with water, wait a few days and taste it. If it tastes like water, it's probably fine, if you die, I'll admit I was wrong.

A lye mixture might clean it off, but lye can also etch glass at a certain strength, so hopefully you can get it to a proper dilution to eat away the gunk and then rinse before it has time to etch that carboy.

Vinegar and hot water....

Most likely scale from the OxiClean

Vinegar will clean it completely

Does it look hazy, like chemical etching? You said they were old carboys, do you know what was in them before? If they were used in a lab, handling chemicals potent enough to etch the glass, you might not want to use them for brewing.

These were used for winemaking. I tried vinegar and then a strong star san solution and it's barely noticeable now. I am going to try hot water and vinegar soak next.

Back