Quantcast

Old fridge- OK for lagering?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kaj030201

Reaction score
Never lagered before, but I came across someone selling an old fridge that apparently doesn't work very well. They told me it cant keep a constant temp too well. Will that be an issue?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that would be an issue. You want a nice steady temperature, not fluctuations. You do the primary ferment around 50 degrees, and the lagering in the 30s. If you're doing the primary, and it fluctuates, the yeast might not want to do their job.

OP
K

kaj030201

Reaction score
even with a Refrigerator Thermostat Control?

GloHoppa

Reaction score
my suggestion would be to ask the seller why it fluctuates with temp. if it is a faulty control, you could just replace it. if there is a problem with the cooling system itself, i don't know what to tell you other than look for another fridge...

srm775

Reaction score
kaj030201 said:
Never lagered before, but I came across someone selling an old fridge that apparently doesn't work very well. They told me it cant keep a constant temp too well. Will that be an issue?
An old fridge is perfect for lagering, but you don't want one that doesn't work well. There are so many old fridges people are giving away or selling very cheaply, that you might as well just get one that works decently.