Old commercial brass taps - should i use them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_l

Reaction score
So I have done lots of searching and reading, and have come to the conclusion that chromed brass (with the internal chrome worn off) can impart a metallic taste in my beer. So I have a fairly nice beer tower that I got a good deal on from a restaurant that went out of business. Has two micromatic stout faucets on it with restrictor plates removed for pouring ales. Only problem with the whole thing, is the exposed brass inside the faucet body/shank. I know I could probably replace with new SS stout taps, but that would be more expensive than just buying a two tap tower with SS Perlicks.
So my dilemma is this... I am getting sick of picnic taps, and have to decide. Do I install this nice tower and get potential metallic taste in my beer (how bad is it??), or do I just buy new SS stuff. I guess I would sell the thing if I could, except it's heavy and would be stuck with the local market (not very good for homebrew stuff). Opinions?

You won't have metallic flavors. They were made for beer. They are still used all over the world without complaints. You will be fine. If you really want you can dump the first 1/2 oz that comes out of the faucet.

Back