Old CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchusuga

Reaction score
I was given an old CO2 tank. It's about 4 feet tall and doesn't have the normal valves on top that I've seen online. Any ideas about where to get the pieces to attach it to the regulator. I haven't kegged any beer yet. This is my first attempt and someone was nice enough to give me the CO2 tank.

dass a *BIG* tank. 40 pounder, maybe?
what IS on top, or is it just a threaded hole? (picture would be nice, here).
look for a welding supply company, or othertank-using industry.

Before you spend a dime on that old tank, you should check the certification date on it, and if it's expired, take it to a refiller to see if you can get it recertified...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice about the certification date. I didn't even know that was a concern.
Yes, it's just a threaded hole at the top. I'll work on getting a pic up.

If it's just a threaded hole then you would probably have to buy and attach the standard valve, that and possibly needing it pressure checked may make it more expensive than buying a used tank off craigslist, plus it sounds like a nonstandard size so you may not be able to take it to a place that only does exchanges.

I took it in to get it filled. Turns out it's an oxygen tank. And it's really old. So I just bought a co2 tank at the place that fills. I wanted to get one online, but I was just so ready I went ahead and did it.

Nice, removes the hassle of dealing with recertification. Now what to do with the 100 lb paperweight/oxygen tank?

Back