Old co2 tank with dual regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
Scored this old tank and dual regulator already set up for old soda keg use with 5 ball lock connects. Just wondering how old is too old. My understanding is it was sitting unused for about 7 years. Tank is empty. I'd like to use the tank but if not I'd really like to use the regulator as
Ot can be set to two different pressures. Picture included. All help welcome.

image-3446469918.jpg

Assuming the regulators are still in good shape, the only issue will be whether the tank certification is still current. If not it will have to be hydrotested to get it refilled. But even then, if you have an Airgas outlet nearby, you can probably just do a tank exchange without paying an extra fee...

Cheers!

Ok thanks. Anything in particular i should check for to see if the regulator is in good shape without a full co2 tank?

franklinswheat said:
Ok thanks. Anything in particular i should check for to see if the regulator is in good shape without a full co2 tank?

Potential issues would be dried out seals, torn diaphragm and/or contamination from beer backing up into the regulator. It would require a tear-down to find any of those. Might make more sense to wait until you can hook it up to a charged tank and see how it behaves...

Cheers!

Take the tank to a gas place that trades tanks, not fills. They will be able to get you a better deal than re-hydroing a tank. Does anyone know how long hydro lasts on a co2 tank?

Take the regulators apart. Even if they don't leak. Inspect seals and if anything looks suspect, replace. Gas is going to travel through them into your beer which you are consuming.

Back