Old Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
So, some people lose their keys, wallet, maybe a few bucks at the track.

I lose Cider.

So, last night I came across an overlooked carboy of Cider I did in the Fall of 2012.

I got the top off of it and there was nothing visually wrong with it. Took a sample and got the FG as well as gave it a tasting.

The FG puts it at 1.000. Which is good...because if after 2 years or more it wasn't done I'm not sure what I would do.

The flavor though, well, there just isn't much. It's not very apple-y. It's more bland than anything else.

Normally I backsweeten with sugar and put it in a keg and carb it up, which I would still like to do.

However with this generally being well on the floavorless spectrum I'm obviously going to need a "Plan B."

Can I use Apple Juice of some kind to try and make this stuff taste like something that more resembles an Apple? I know I generally shoot for a FG of around 1.018 to 1.014. Is this the same number I should be shooting for if I'm sweetening using juice?

Thanks for the help!

Yeah. I'd put a couple cans of concentrate in there. Maybe even a can of white grape juice concentrate to help sweeten it a bit. Or you can make it into "Caramel Apple Cider" with a homemade cinnamon / "Caramel" sauce and add that for flavor and use apple juice / cider concentrate and/or white grape juice to back sweeten.

If its just bland then maybe you need to add a little malic acid, possibly your AJC will add enough while sweetening it but you might not balance the sweetness out if there isnt enough acid. Any chance this batch went thru MLF and ate most of the acid? WVMJ

Back