Old Carboy Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Ok I have washed this glass 5 gal secondary that I've brewed in before 3 times with PBW allowing it to soak for 30 mins.

Most of the dust and crap came off from being in the attic but when I put it on the drying rack and it drys there is still this white residue that looks like hard water stains all on the bottom running up.

I've scrubbed and scrubbed and rinsed the heck out of it but these still remain. My 6.5 gal is spotless. In just worried about if this will effect my beer when I secondary it for dry hopping.

Ok I have washed this glass 5 gal secondary that I've brewed in before 3 times with PBW allowing it to soak for 30 mins.

Most of the dust and crap came off from being in the attic but when I put it on the drying rack and it drys there is still this white residue that looks like hard water stains all on the bottom running up.

I've scrubbed and scrubbed and rinsed the heck out of it but these still remain. My 6.5 gal is spotless. In just worried about if this will effect my beer when I secondary it for dry hopping.

I doubt the white stains will have any effect on your beer. It's also possible you'll never get rid of the stains.

My water softener took a crap a few years ago, and as a result I ended up with glassware that had this whitish residue. I tried CLR, vinegar, and even strong acids like straight muriatic acid. I tried every cleaner I could think of (ammonia, bleach). I ended up throwing the glasses away.

Usually an acid rinse will dissolve carbonates and the like almost instantly. If I screw up and forget I have a carboy filled with Oxyclean soaking in the shop, the next day I'll have to rinse it out with some Star San. For the OP, I'd definitely give that - or a white vinegar/water 50/50 rinse - before giving up the ghost. You only need a half quart either way to swirl around.

I can't imagine what in water could resist all attempts at removal, but I'd be really leery of drinking it :eek:

Cheers!

Back